Domain transfer doubts

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackpearl

The Devil
I want to transfer my domain from yahoo to godaddy. Now I have heard that a domain transfer can take upto sevearl days and even weeks to complete. Will my site remain unavailable during this period? I have heard that the site is available while the transfer process is going on. Only after the transfer is completed and the nameserver changed, that the site goes offline.

Is that true? Will the site go offline during the entire transfer period or only for the time taken by the nameserver at the new registrar to update?

ahref

In the zone
During domain transfer you cant change nameserver, site doesnt go down, if you are also shifting hosting, you should first transfer hosting change nameserver then shift domain.

If you are not changing hosting, then site will not go down.

OP
blackpearl

blackpearl

The Devil
During domain transfer you cant change nameserver, site doesnt go down, if you are also shifting hosting, you should first transfer hosting change nameserver then shift domain.

If you are not changing hosting, then site will not go down.

No I'm not changing hosting, just changing registrar. The nameserver will remain intact on yahoo and I will initiate a domain transfer to godaddy. After the domain gets transfered to godaddy, I have to set the nameserver, isn't not?

Also the nameserver on godaddy will take some time to update. During that time the site should be unavailable, or will visitors be redirected correctly to my site from the old DNS records?

Please explain how my site will NOT go down.

Thanks

ahref

In the zone
Your site will not go down, after transfer your nameserver will remain same. Since you are not changing nameserver your site will remain available always.

You need not to update nameserver at godaddy panel, as domain will be transfered with exisiting nameserver settings,

OP
blackpearl

blackpearl

The Devil
Some problem. I just noticed that on my yahoo control panel, the name servers are set as "yns1.yahoo.com". To map my website to the address, I used CNAME records. Now what do I do to the nameserver when I transfer to godaddy? should I make it the same as the CNAME records?

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
Some problem. I just noticed that on my yahoo control panel, the name servers are set as "yns1.yahoo.com". To map my website to the address, I used CNAME records. Now what do I do to the nameserver when I transfer to godaddy? should I make it the same as the CNAME records?
where is your website hosted??

OP
blackpearl

blackpearl

The Devil
My site is on blogger.
Nameservers are yns1.yahoo.com and yns2.yahoo.com
CNAME record is set to ghs.google.com, which is for blogger.

Sukhdeep Singh

Host4Cheap.org
Change the Nameservers to EveryDNS

ns1.everydns.net,
ns2.everydns.net,
ns3.everydns.net,
and ns4.everydns.net

Then Read this *help.blogger.com/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=58317#everydns

At the moment you are using Yahoo DNS Management. I am not sure if Godaddy provides DNS Management for FREE. Your best bet is to use FREE EVERYDNS :)

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
As Sukhdeep Singh said, you can use everydns.net

Else, buy DNS service also from Godaddy, and change nameserver and configure again at Godaddy domain control panel.

OP
blackpearl

blackpearl

The Devil
I think godaddy gives dns service for free, called offsite dns. See this

*help.godaddy.com/article/4041

I don't want to use everydns. Now what should I do? Should I change the nameservers at yahoo to godaddy as shown in the link I gave, or just go forward with the transfer. What will happen then?

I 'm confused.

Here is godaddy's guide to transfer domain
*products.secureserver.net/guides/transfer_domain_yahoo.pdf

I think I should just follow it. But my site would go offline isn't so? :(

Last edited:

Sukhdeep Singh

Host4Cheap.org
I
I don't want to use everydns. Now what should I do? Should I change the nameservers at yahoo to godaddy as shown in the link I gave, or just go forward with the transfer. What will happen then?

Yes, do this :) AFAIK as i can understand, why will be fine.

BUT why not use EveryDNS now :confused: and when u face probs, move back to Godaddy ?

godaddy has issues, esp concerning laws on parked domains. it calls everyone with a vaguely familiar domain name squatters, or so the story goes. also, it places ads on your domain while not in use. atleast this is what my online research indicates.

Sukhdeep Singh

Host4Cheap.org
godaddy has issues, esp concerning laws on parked domains. it calls everyone with a vaguely familiar domain name squatters, or so the story goes. also, it places ads on your domain while not in use. atleast this is what my online research indicates.

Not Exactly, It is World Biggest Registrar for no reason ;)

OP
blackpearl

blackpearl

The Devil
I think the best way will be to proceed as described in the PDF file (found at godaddy). If I try to act smart and do something different it will probably go wrong.

From what I understand, the namservers will be automatically updated at godaddy once the transfer is complete. What I want to know now is: Will the CNAME records be automatically updated at the new registrar?

If yes, then I have nothing to worry. If no, I will have few hours of downtime as the records propagates.

Please answer the BOLD question

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
I think the best way will be to proceed as described in the PDF file (found at godaddy). If I try to act smart and do something different it will probably go wrong.

From what I understand, the namservers will be automatically updated at godaddy once the transfer is complete. What I want to know now is: Will the CNAME records be automatically updated at the new registrar?

If yes, then I have nothing to worry. If no, I will have few hours of downtime as the records propagates.

Please answer the BOLD question
You must contact Godaddy support team for this. But I am scared that it will not be done automatically.

Last edited:

ahref

In the zone
Since you are using yahoo service for managing DNS entries, once you transfer your domain to godaddy, probably you will not be able to use yahoo service for DNS, hence your cname record will not work.

If your manage DNS service works at yahoo even after transfer of domain to godaddy then cname record will work.

If you want to use godaddy service for managing DNS then you need to change your nameserver to godaddy and also have to create cname record again, cname record definately will not be updated automatically.

Sukhdeep Singh

Host4Cheap.org
No offence, if you are going with Godaddy, it means you find relaible, trustworthy and they would help you in all problems.

All the Questions should be best answerable by Godaddy Support :) since it has been years that i have been with Godaddy :D

OP
blackpearl

blackpearl

The Devil
Mailed godaddy and awaiting their reply.
I think you guys are right. CNAME records won't update. I have to do it manually.

Got godaddy's reply, and I have figured it out how to avoid downtime.

Godaddy said that I can choose to keep the nameserver when I transfer my domain. Again, Yahoo's help files say that I have to cancel my account manually once the transfer is complete. Yahoo will NOT cancel my account automatically. Now I know what to do.

1. I will transfer my domain to godaddy and keep the namerserver as yahoo.
2. After the domain is transfered to godaddy, the DNS management will still be with yahoo. So no downtime.
3. I will change the namersevr at godaddy to use godaddy's DNS management BUT I will NOT canecl my yahoo account.
4. During the time required for godaddy's nameserver to update, my site will still be accessible since I have not canceld yahoo's DNS
5. After the new namersver becomes active only then will I cancel yahoo's account.

Result = 0 downtime (hopefully) :)

So what do you say?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom