Domain name registration question

Status
Not open for further replies.

neocon

Right off the assembly line
Hi,
Although I do not login regularly, I visit this site almost every other day to see the discussions. I think that the members of this forum are among the most tech-savvy of all forums in India.

According to my friend the .com domain name of my name is still availabe and he is insisting that I buy it immediately. Although I dont have a site, he said he will set up a personal site for me.

However before buying a domain name I want to ask them some questions. He has prepared a list of questions that i can ask. However I dont know the meaning of half the questions he has listed out and am quite wary of seeking clarification form him since he just does not bother explaining things if he does not feel like :)

The questions he has asked me to ask them are

1. Do you provide WHOIS(?????) masking facility?

2. Do you provide just domain name registration?
[He says that he will not allow me to have my domain name, hosting space and DNS (?????) all from the same company]

3. How many Name server (?????) entries can i enter in your domin name's control panel?

4. How easily can I transfer my domain name from your comapany to a ifferent company and what is the procedure and do you charge money for this transfer?

5. What modes of payment do you accept?

Are there any other questions that I must ask the company from whom I buy a domain name. Please suggest [along with its meaning :)]

Another thing is that he is asking me to buy a domain name from godaddy.com, aying they are the most reliable.

However on this issue I have put my foot down and have told him that i will buy a domain name from a company who has an office in my city - Pune

In that case he has asked me to ask for the list of the company's customers and contact them to seek an opinion and now has gone into his sulking mode :)

Looking through the internet i found a company which appears a little more setteled than others
I Knowledge Factory Pvt. Ltd.
*www.ikf.co.in/

They claim to have some reputed Government and private companys doing business with them

What is your opinion about them or for that matter anyo ther domain name registrar in Pune that you would like to suggest and should I buy the domain name from them

Any guidance will be appreciated [the person who suggested this domain name thing is now not talking to me :) so any help from him will not be forthcoming for the next month:)]

From the discussions I had seen earlier, I had seen people promoting sites in the name of guidance. i am not doing so

Just to get you all relaxed, I am also pointing to another ther link
*www.devseeker.in/companies/Domain-Name-Registration/Pune.html

Can anybody please help me?

Last edited:

Sukhdeep Singh

Host4Cheap.org
If you ask me, buy the domain from Godaddy then the that Pune Seller you are talking about since Godaddy is World largest domain Registrar.

Pune Seller wont have any special advantages for your. Rather as a Godaddy customer, you will find your domain secure, with tons of features since they keep adding it. Also you may also avail the various Promos which come time to time :)

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
Domain registration is not a very big thing. Just ask few basic Question......... but always prefer from a reputated company, and a stable one.

OP
N

neocon

Hi,
How good is this site godaddy.com?

I went to their site and when i started a trail run of registering a domain name I got this option
*img257.imageshack.us/img257/7381/01wj2.th.gif
and then in the final estimates

*img139.imageshack.us/img139/7160/03cu5.th.gif

Does it mean that they are charging for this WHOIS protection?

I had contacted a few domain name registration companyys here and they said that they give WHOIS protction for free

Also the price quoted by them is lesser than this godaddy. One company quoted Rs. 320 and anothr Rs. 450. Why so much price difference?

Another thing is that I use debit cards and not credit cards. Godaddy seems to accept only credit cards. He said that he can convert a debit into a credit card for 2 days to complete the process. Is it safe to do this conversion

I did not contact I knowledge since I thought of contact them personally - their office is on my way to the office :)

Cheked the company websit. There they claim to have clients like
Automotive Reserch Authority of India
Symbiosis Institute
Society of Automotive Engineers India
Sulzer India
Bosch [the spark plug company I think:)]

If these company buy their domain name from this company, I think I too can trust them. What say?:)

BTW we ave cahnged our plan. He is not going to setup a website. He said that with my domain name he will attach it to Gmail and create a personalised email id.
I think that is far better than a site.

Please comment and help

Thank you

Sukhdeep Singh

Host4Cheap.org
1.Godaddy has various Coupon codes to bring the price down to as low as 6.95$

2. Regarding WHOIS protection, it depends upon on Registrar to Registrar whether they want to charge for it or not

3. Hmm, regarding the company, any proofs of their Claim ?
4. Regarding Credit Card, yes surely you will need a Credit Card. I think your friend is talking about Virtual Credit Card which can be used like Real Credit Cards for 2 days after creation. Virtual Credit Card is a free service provided to HDFC Bank Account Holders

OP
N

neocon

Hi Sukhdeep,

3. It was there on their website. If the claim was untrue then i think the companys would hav taken action, especially SAE since it is an International body :)

Is there anyway I can confirm if they had bough domain names from I knowledge or not, without actually calling up the respective comapny [not sure if they would give away such information to total strangers]

Aslo can you please tell me more about these coupons. how can I get a coupon? If I get a domain name for $6.95 USD then it will be even cheaper than the Rs. 320 I am being offered by CityIT Solutions Pvt. Ltd. here

Thanks for your reply :)

I am a little hesitant in doing online transaction. There was a recent report in the newspaper that money had been withdrawn from a person's ICICI account through online transfer. My friend said that it is safe sice the person in question himself gave away his account information

I am still a little hesitant

Last edited:

Sukhdeep Singh

Host4Cheap.org
You can use the coupon code

cjcdeal52
OYH3
chill3
chill3

You can also buy from Namecheap.com as they are also one of the popular Domain Registrar. The Control Panel is what i personally love. WHOIS Protection comes free for the 1st year.

The Domain will cost you 8.37$ after using MAYFLOWERS as Coupon Code at Namecheap

Pathik

Google Bot
You can also get your domain through Sukhdeep, Cyrus_the_virus, Ravi_9793 or Ahref of this forum.

You can also get your domain through Sukhdeep, Cyrus_the_virus, Ravi_9793 or Ahref of this forum.

Last edited:
OP
N

neocon

Hi Sukhdeep and Ravi, :)
Thank you so much for responding to my query. Seeing my hesitation, one of my friends went ahead and bought me the domain name himself. He bought it from NameCheap as suggested by Sukhdeep and he bought it for $8.41 with the coupon [got to buy him some beer now :)]
I will definitely recommend your names, when they buy domain names, which they do from time to time.

Hi Pathik,
Just about logged out when you posted, so couldn't see your reply else I might have purchased it from them :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom