Does TATA Broadband suck?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
I'm planning to replace my current shitty ISP @ 256 unlimited and TaTa Indicom is on my mind. But I've read a lot of bad user reviews of it. Not to say I haven't read about others also..

What do users here think? Don't tell me to search the forum, I want the current perspective (..after that 'Nano' thing you may say :p)

My intented speeds are 512kbps and 1Mb max. (..yeah not much, but anything is better than my current ISP..)

Why I can't get others?
Airtel: Called up them and got a reply of not feasible, yeah even in Bangalore.

BSNL: Don't have a telephone and don't intend to get one atm.

Others: No others here or that I'd know of.
Why Tata came into perspective.
1) When I called them up, they were pretty accurate to my surprise and even got a feasibility conformation within 1/2 hr.
2) The concerned person was ready to come from afar Yeshwantpur to just address my questions face to face. (..is it desperation for customers I dunno..)
3) They were the only one who openly supported Linux.
4) They have 1mb unlimited @ 3500/- which I can afford.

So if someone here can shed some light on it (Bangaloreans who have it if possible), I may get a clearer picture. Thanks.

utsav

damn busy...
Atleast tata has good speeds in my city.i always get 50 percent more than the rated speed.lol.what more do i need

U should hav posted this in the QnA section

Last edited:

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack
if you dont have any other option go for TATA...

bcos its just like politics.. the whole broadband scene sucks and TRAI is sleeping. so not much choice. pick up whatever is available.

btw as an Airtel customer I'm satisfied with their customer care and service.

I am a TATA broadband user .....and i am satisfied with its service and speeds ... i always get the speed according to my plan .......constant .... and i am happy and will switch only if i got a better option for lesser price :D :D

sandeepk

Journeyman
It is nothing like Tata Broadband is always going to be bad everywhere in the country. They do provide good service. I am one of their satisfied customer. I have been using their service for past 10 months. Only a few times their service was down and that to for at most 2 days. Not more than that. Also they provide you free modem/router.
In my city i.e Pune they do provide very good service. You have to check with other forum members about the situation in Bangalore.

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
Wov man, you really willing to shell out 3.5K for just internet?? Any special utility or reason for this plan? Corporate or cafe use?

I have 256UL Tata connection in my hometown, which i have not used much as i study in pune. But it gives full 256kbps downloads as well as an equal upload speed, which is amazing. And it has a direct plug and use technique, no IP settings and all.

Aberforth

The Internationalist
I have switched to Tata Indicom last months from my Sify Broadband after the cablewalla closed shop along with Sify franchise. I'd say Tata's Sales Team is the best there is while the service department is at the opposite end.

When I filled the online form for a new connection (UL 256 kbps), the salesman was home within 20 minutes, which took me by surprise and gave me a positive impression. I filled the form, paid the check and got connected and running in 3 days (29/12/2007). So far so good.

For the last 6-7 days my connection drops and either the link or PPP goes down from 1900 Hrs to 1000 Hrs, time varies by an hour every day. An attempt to call the local maintenance engineer has failed to yield results, he either gives some false assurances or keeps his phone switched off semi-permanently.

I made three attempts to call Tata's cust. service and the third attempt was successful after a wait of 5 minutes. I told him of the problem and the first suggestion I got was "clear your cookies and restart your explorer". Apparently my complain about regular internet disconnections, internet ping timeouts and link failure didn't sink in. After a frustrating effort to make him understand, he apparently referred my problem to "higher authority in top priority" to be resolved in 24 hours. That was yesterday 0900 Hrs, and the connection broke for an hours minutes back. I wonder, if I'll be able to post this...

Sify sucked, their speeds didn't deliver, but at least it worked. Tata Indicom has good speeds of upto 35 KB/sec in my area but unless we can get connected, it isn't of much value. If you want to go for Indicom, try finding customers in your area and ask how it is. If they are satistifed (in YOUR area) then go for it. In my opinion Tata Indicom oversells customers which is why servers run out of 'max connections'.

I am stuck here with no other options as I paid 3 months in advance. Before it expires, I am going to apply for MTNL Triband. At least it'll be less frustrating than Indicom.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
sify is a peice of *uck all sh!t the day i come across the guy who owns sify im gonna kick him rite in the center for all the horrible time his internet gave me :x

tata is decent better than bsnl or mtnl that much i can guarantee .... here in mumbai their service team is also not that bad though they have their down times like 5-6 hours every 3 weeks or so but they rectify it too faster than mtnl and sify who is a bag of cow sh!t

sourav123

Thinking Different
Hi,

You can consider going for Reliance WiMAX. Although the service used to have long downtimes earlier, now the service has improved a lot and I am always getting a link these days. My plan is 300kbps unlimited for Rs. 999/-. There are other plans also. You can PM me if you need their number in Bangalore.

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
alsiladka said:
Wov man, you really willing to shell out 3.5K for just internet?? Any special utility or reason for this plan? Corporate or cafe use?

Man, he is die-hard online gamer. He might want to play his CoD4 online and make some more records.

Don't you hitboxx ?? ;)

OP
H

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated.

Yes I can afford 3500 on 1mb connection, I think you forgot the unlimited catchphrase here. AFAIK none of the ISP provide unlimited 1mb at that price.(..not yet)

Plus like Garbage said I've been gaming daily online since 3 years and now its time to lower my ping.

About the wimax, I'll pm you sourav. Thanks all once again.

_______

Broken In
TATA is awesome man. I'm having two connections, One at Bangalore and One in Chennai. 2 MBPS hour basis. Quick power 360. Always I get 224kbps download speed. Very happy :)

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
^completely NOT agreed!

When you will get bills of around Rs.105k due to incorrect billing over a period of 6 months and your 1001 efforts to correct the bill cannot solve it, you will agree.:mad: BSNL is the company of cheats and frauds.

To the thread starter: You can glady switch to Tata Indicom. I have a Tata Indicom Walky in my home in Kolkata (postpaid plan) and my parents have been using it over a year now without any problems. Their internet service has also improved a lot during the last one year.

_______

Broken In
Hmm, I work in Bangalore and my home is in Chennai. 5 days in Bangalore and 2 days at Chennai. So bought two connections....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom