Does GPL demand source-code publication??

Status
Not open for further replies.

tejasp

Right off the assembly line
could someone please find out that if an application is developed using open-source tools like PHP and MySQL, is it compulsary to open the source-code of the same to the public under GPL?

Hoping for a reply soon!

Regards,

Tejas.

firewall

In the zone
Well, this is very good questions. But let me make sure one thing... GNU/GPL has nothing to do with Open Source Software ! instead what it says is "Free Software" ! And these two concepts are different ! anyway. now on your question.

If you are using mySQL under GNU/GPL for Free of cost, u must release ur application/program under GNU/GPL to comply with the license. ( *linuxjunkies.org/documents/gpl.txt )

But if u wish not to release ur program as GNU/GPL'd u have to purchase mySQL from the mySQL AB, the owner co.

This is mySQL's Dual Licensing policy.
( *www.mysql.com/products/licensing/faq.html )

and now on php, php3 was released on GNU/GPL but ver 4 is under QPL ( Q Public License ). havenot gone through that completely so unable to comment...

;)

But one thing is sure, if ur work is derived fom a FREE Software u have to release that under GNU/GPL !

:)

OP
T

tejasp

Right off the assembly line
hello...

thanks for the reply... I want to clarify that we are Final Year Engineering students (computer engg) and we are developing a project on Location Based Services.

So is it really essential that students who develop this software have to open the code... my partners are not that comfortable with this... but knowing the PHP is offering some really convenient methods to manipulate images, we were prefering this. Could yuo suggest some alternative?

Regards,

Tejas.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
tejasp said:
could someone please find out that if an application is developed using open-source tools like PHP and MySQL, is it compulsary to open the source-code of the same to the public under GPL?
If you are publishing your project under GNU-GPL then, you have to distribute the binaries along with source code. Give some time to read gpl licence.

It says, If you are deveolping an application that uses GPL'ed libraries and if you have statically linked the libraries then the application also becomes a GPL application. However many developers are not comfortable with this... So FSF revised GPL and came up with GNU-LGPL (Library General Public Licence).

If you are developing your application using libraries licenced under GNU-LGPL, then you can keep your source upto yourself...

However I recommend that you keep ur project FREE Software so that next generation of students can build on top of it. And in case you are thinking keeping your project propritery and closed then .... forget it....

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
firewall said:
GNU/GPL has nothing to do with Open Source Software ! instead what it says is "Free Software" !

Way to go man!!!! :) :) :) :)
People should understand, There's more to FREE Software than just opening up the source code

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
tejasp said:
So is it really essential that students who develop this software have to open the code... my partners are not that comfortable with this...

Then make them understand, they are using MySQL and PHP because someone there had decided to keep their entire work free

cnukutti

Broken In
why dont you try python. I think python is better when compared to php. I dont know for sure but i am learning it and it is real easy. Someone please comment on php vs. python

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom