DOES FORMATTING HARDDISKS REGULARLY HARMs IT IN ANY WAY ?

DOES FORMATTING HARDDISKS REGULARLY HARMs IT IN ANY WAY ?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

rajeshjsl

AskRajesh
1)DESCRIPTION:-

POLL NOW FROM THE ABOVE TOPIC BECAUSE I WANT TO KNOW (I REGULAR FORMAT MY D DRIVE)

Q1:- DOES FORMATTING HARDDISKS REGULARLY HARMs IT IN ANY WAY ?
POLL OPTION-YES
POLL OPTION-NO

2)DESCRIPTION:-

HAVE YOU GOT HELP FROM WINXP'S HELP AND SUPPORT CENTER ANYTIME AND YOUR PROBLEM WAS SOLVED?

Q2:- HAD ANYTIME WINXP'S HELP AND SUPPORT CENTER SOLVED YOUR PROBLEM?

aadipa

Padawan
A1=> I format my hdd every 2-3 months, no problem for last 3years 6 months

A2=> I NEVER use windows' help

shadowdm

Broken In
I usually format my C drive twice every month and full hard disk once every two months. I also take it to friends and everywhere.... etc etc etc
But it has no problem. Not even a single bad sector after 6 years of use. I

harmads

Journeyman
Here is a question for all C-Formatters :

Why do you do it so frequently. What is the advantage. How do you guys manage the data/softeware stored on it

Thanks
Harsh

aadipa

Padawan
i install a lot of trialware/shareware and every program that i come across, so the hdd if full with unwanted dlls and registry entries, its better to reinstall OS than cleaning the system

as far as how i manage the data, NEVER KEEP YOUR IMPORTANT WORK ON YOUR MAIN DRIVE. i keep my files on second hdd and keep the partition hidden in explorer by using TweakUI

aadipa

Padawan
also the big problem of fragmentation of free space, defragging helps but when u generally install/uninstall 1-2GBs of softwares every 2-3 days, its not that effective

digen

Youngling
i format my c drive every month.after installing & uninstalling the drive becomes kind of slow.no harm done so far.

JAK

What the Heck !
I don't use the raw format command unless I badly need it. :wink:

I have used Drive Image2002 to create a image of my C: Drive. I created the image after installing all the software drivers etc, So the time when I feel my C: Drive is full of crap...I simply restore it from the image I have made ,stored in my Backup Partition(BTW I have made CD's of the image too just for backup) .So the system becomes as good as new....Also saves the time of Installin windows from scratch....The image gets restored say within 7mins...must faster then a scratch install
.... :wink: :wink:

cnukutti

Broken In
As far as i know nothing can happen if you format your harddisk regularly. this was even published in digit magazine.

vswizard

Broken In
Even i do the same.. just i use Ghost instead of drive Image..

I don't use the raw format command unless I badly need it. Wink

I have used Drive Image2002 to create a image of my C: Drive. I created the image after installing all the software drivers etc, So the time when I feel my C: Drive is full of crap...I simply restore it from the image I have made ,stored in my Backup Partition(BTW I have made CD's of the image too just for backup) .So the system becomes as good as new....Also saves the time of Installin windows from scratch....The image gets restored say within 7mins...must faster then a scratch install

svenkat83

Journeyman
aadipa said:
....but when u generally install/uninstall 1-2GBs of softwares every 2-3 days....

:shock:

1-2 GBs of software every 2-3 days is really a shocker mate.
What kind of software do you use?

aadipa

Padawan
svenkat83 said:
aadipa said:
....but when u generally install/uninstall 1-2GBs of softwares every 2-3 days....

:shock:

1-2 GBs of software every 2-3 days is really a shocker mate.
What kind of software do you use?

i just check if the software is working and review the softwares for my friends. i also download and install lots of freeware/shareware/trialware/nagware. so my registry is full of junk every couple of months

lately i have started using virtual pc for this but some software don't work on virtual pc, like games

djmykey

Let the music play.....
hey JAK pls can u forward the link to me ill try to do that pls man or can i just burn images of hdd from Nero coz it has such facility. If yes then how am i supposed to restore that image

JAK

What the Heck !
djmykey said:
hey JAK pls can u forward the link to me ill try to do that pls man or can i just burn images of hdd from Nero coz it has such facility. If yes then how am i supposed to restore that image

link to what...???? :?: ......... :wink:

and u cannot use Nero to create the image of ur system's drive(C drive) as it will not be able to read off files which r in use by windows...

So its better u use Drive Image or Ghost or :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom