Linux Discussion Thread

Which OS do you use primarily?

• Total voters

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Back in the days, I used to beg money from my parents to buy blank CDs to burn ISOs on them. I have a CD folder in my hometown with all of these discs.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Yeah, also I got my first DVD-combo drive as part of Digit's subscription renewal scheme back in 2004. They were giving Samsung or LiteOn DVD-combo drive with every subscription renewal.

That is also when they started giving DVDs with the magazine for the first time. That same issue had Knoppix ISO on the DVD, one of the first live CD distros ever. This was the first time I had used Linux. I was in Class 9th.

I have tried most of the distros provided in Digit since then.

Æsoteric Positron

I AM GROOT (and so are you)
Back in the days, I used to beg money from my parents to buy blank CDs to burn ISOs on them. I have a CD folder in my hometown with all of these discs.
I used to beg money from my parents to buy blank CDs and pirate games from a friend's house who had already pirated it , and me and my friend both didn't knew that we were pirating games. Oh, those good old naive days!

Æsoteric Positron

Yeah, also I got my first DVD-combo drive as part of Digit's subscription renewal scheme back in 2004. They were giving Samsung or LiteOn DVD-combo drive with every subscription renewal.

That is also when they started giving DVDs with the magazine for the first time. That same issue had Knoppix ISO on the DVD, one of the first live CD distros ever. This was the first time I had used Linux. I was in Class 9th.

I have tried most of the distros provided in Digit since then.
lol, would have felt really cool to try out that new tech. I was stuck in a clucky VM in my first days of linux. I felt like linux is all good and everything, but its slow and clucky af XD.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
The first distro I've ever tried was RHEL 9 .. still have those CDs I guess. Then PC Linux OS and Then Fedora.Had a hard time setting up Nokia 2112 ( Rel. CDMA ) phone with fedora as a modem with DKU-5 cable :D

Æsoteric Positron

.Had a hard time setting up Nokia 2112 ( Rel. CDMA ) phone with fedora as a modem with DKU-5 cable :D

lol. The projects looks very interesting!

The first distro I've ever tried was RHEL 9 .. still have those CDs I guess. Then PC Linux OS and Then Fedora.

Mine were Ubuntu, then tails but digit kept giving out ubuntus so I basically used it every time till this year with a little variation (a lot of years with ubuntu). Then @Desmond David suggested manjaro to me, and then my distro of choice changed.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
lol. The projects looks very interesting!

actaully used somee other guys CA-42 cable method but that only advanced me to halfway .. then got some conf. settings form here and there and finally it worked. The first website I've ever opened on linux was digit forum :D

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
The first distro I've ever tried was RHEL 9 .. still have those CDs I guess. Then PC Linux OS and Then Fedora.Had a hard time setting up Nokia 2112 ( Rel. CDMA ) phone with fedora as a modem with DKU-5 cable :D

I got to know about linux when I was in 3rd, That too while Downloading Tux Paint, in the installer page. So on googling it, I found more about it. Then finally it was in 4th class i tried my first distro. It was DAMN Linux, Just 50MB that time, But gave an experience of what linux was.

After that I tried Puppy linux, Gentoo, Fedora. It was Ubuntu, after which the love for linux grew. I first Dual booted Ubuntu 12.04 With Windows 7.

I kept using ubuntu for 4 years, Then one day digit provided Xubuntu. Its UI was amazing. Right now, I am using Ubuntu 20.04 on my old lappy, But for work I use Macbook Air(2017).

Top Bottom