Linux Discussion Thread

Which OS do you use primarily?

• Total voters

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Yeah, but then the question becomes: Who should be the standard? There are so many competing libraries that even that is impossible to answer. I think it's best that the ecosystem be as it is and let the users decide what they want to stick with.

Another good option is OEMs, whichever distro is chosen by OEMs can become the standard, similar to what System76 does with Pop OS. That, of course, requires that more OEMs distribute Linux pre-installed.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
The only thing about KDE I don't find snappy is the launcher which seems to lag at times. Everything else seems okay.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
KDE isn't as snappy as I hoped to be, even with official Nvidia drivers and a 1080.
Its the most feature rich UI though. Just not as snappy.
Could be the nVidia Linux drivers. I've always found KDE to be snappy.

Only initial releases of KDE 4 were a mess (a decade ago) and only Arch + KDE 4 "mod" used to be snappy.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Could be the nVidia Linux drivers. I've always found KDE to be snappy.

Only initial releases of KDE 4 were a mess (a decade ago) and only Arch + KDE 4 "mod" used to be snappy.
Last time I used, animations felt like 35-45 fps not 60 fps locked

Æsoteric Positron

I AM GROOT (and so are you)
wow its a rly huge thread already , but I think I should mention this, if someone is a beginner he/she should use-:
1.pop os
2.Manjaro - if you can handle a little instability

Æsoteric Positron

Yup. When I started this thread, I myself was exploring the nix world. And after Starting with Ubuntu, migrating to Mint, now I am finally settled on Manjaro itself. :)
It feels just right.
Me too. My journey was like this - Ubuntu 18, ubuntu 19, ubuntu 20, manjaro, popos , manjaro and I am now finally settled on manjaro . I still use windows on my primary pc though.
(and hence I am one of the windows 10 user on the poll:emoji_sweat_smile: ).

Last edited:

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
My first distro was Knoppix on live CD back in 2004. It's ISO was on the Digit DVD at that time and I had got a new CD burner (as part of Digit's scheme). So tried it out and got hooked like that.

Knoppix is still around IIRC.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
TIL about PulseEffects. An awesome system-wide DSP for Linux: wwmm/pulseeffects

*raw.githubusercontent.com/wwmm/pulseeffects/master/images/pulseeffects.png

*raw.githubusercontent.com/wwmm/pulseeffects/master/images/equalizer1.png

I have been using this and it's damn good. Every audiophile's wet dream. There are so many options to tweak that you will never be left wanting. You can also save your settings as presets for different applications. Your equalizer settings can carry over globally across all running applications because this operates on PulseAudio. So, for me this solves the main issue of Spotify not having any equalizer. Also, the equalizer settings will carry over to things like games as well.

Æsoteric Positron

My first distro was Knoppix on live CD back in 2004. It's ISO was on the Digit DVD at that time and I had got a new CD burner (as part of Digit's scheme).
Mine was ubuntu, it was also on the digit's dvd , but digit had included a vm software with the iso, so I just played around with it and decided that linux is slow(didn't knew that it was cause I was running it in a vm at at time :,-) )

Top Bottom