Votes: 6 17.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

W i d e S c r e e N

Ambassador of Buzz
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-aliasing

Anti-aliasing(AA)

many games have this feature as an option. You can decide weather u want to use it to "smoothen" the image or not. It slows down the overall frames per second(FPS). Now with power cards from ati & nVidia, does it make sense to sacrifice that FPS and activate AA?

Harvik780

ToTheBeatOfUrHeart
AA is going to be an important technique of improving image quality for Gaming video cards until we reach 2x resolution of current max XHD as standard resolution for playing games.
For professional graphics cards this feature will be always present.
I always use atleast 4x Multi-Sample AA in all my games.
The only games which i haven't played with proper AA are HALO 1 and Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 1 & 2 because AA did not work in these games due to the use of a different lightning approach.Although GRAW 1 & 2 had something called edge-smoothing AA which reduced zazzies by blurring the image to some extent,it also reduced the crispness of the image and hindered the use of AF.

Harvik780

ToTheBeatOfUrHeart
Yes I have played all Prince of Persia Titles since POP SOT was released with AA.
GRAW 1 and 2 were not ported from any console gaming platform.They had a separate engine for the PC version using which the games were developed.PC versions were different from the consoles versions because of much bigger gameplay environment and being FPSs instead of TPSs.

AA in Games is like PostProcessing in MediaPlayers. Dead useful to increase quality at lower resolutions.

But if the game natively supports a high resolution, rendering all objects perfectly, and its resolution matches with your monitor's, AA is optional.

And if your monitor has a limited resolution capability, then AA is useful to make lower resolution look good.

Conclution:- Who Cares ?

Harvik780

ToTheBeatOfUrHeart
i don't knw why but they sucked on my sys back then.
Did u try these games w/o I assume a lot of boost in FPSs?

I played POP:SOT on my GF 5200 at 640*480 2xQ AA,POP:WW & POP:T2T on GF 6600 256MB 800*600 2xQ AA,
GRAW 1 on GF 6600 1024*768 Edge Smooth AA,
GRAW 2 on 8800GTS G80 640MB SLI,8800GT G92 512MB,8600GT 256MB SLI with Edge Smooth AA.

On GF 5200 and 6600 i experienced seldom lags at the settings i played.With 8600GT SLI and GRAW 2 i wasn't able to turn on High textures due to the Vram being 256 only(in SLI Vram doesn't double up),but i could...by manually editing config files which would result in hiccups.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
not a graphics maniac, and neither my gfx supports AA. Though shaders are a must for me.

I long for gameplay with decent graphics.

nvidia

-----ATi-----
I play with full AA in games like NFS:MW.
But in games like Crysis, even 2x AA is just tooo much for my 8600GT.:|

Rahuldhanpat

Broken In
will pop work with nvidia 8600 256 MB and Ram is 2gb... I have played these games on lower configuration and because of that i feel i missed alot of things.... so i want to play it... please suggest.

Harvik780

ToTheBeatOfUrHeart
@harvik,
why do u play at such low res.? How much does ur monitor res goes upto?
I played at lower resolutions only when i had the Geforce 5200 and Geforce 6600 graphics cards which i used on AGP 4x motherboad.The less computing power of all the components added up to the loss in performance in most games due to which i played at resolutions of 640*480 or 800*600.
Now i only play at a resolution of 1600*1200 with 4xAA.

Rollercoaster

-The BlacKCoaT Operative-
i am having lodes of trouble with the new drivers fron nvidia for my 8800gt .. cant set AA in lots of games liek quake wars etc

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
in some games only. Most games wud seem fine w/o AA on 1280*960 on my 17" CRT. And if the edges seems jagged, then 2xAA wud be max tht i wud go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom