Do Single-core Processors Finally Come to Their End?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Third Eye

gooby pls
Single-core processors for desktop computers may have finally reached the end of their usage life since many PC makers already began clearing out their old inventory of these outdated CPUs. This measure was taken according to Intel's announced intention of eliminating this type of processors in favor of dual-core ones.

In the first

quarter of 2008 Intel intends to launch the Celeron E1000, an entry-level dual-core series of processors. This way, the single-core processors for desktop computers will be eliminated from the market. Intel also announces the launch of other two 45nm processors for the E4000 family in the same period of 2008.

Sources from the company announced that the E1200 model, the first dual-core processor from the new Celeron E1000 series, will have a core frequency of 1600MHz, 800MHz FSB and 512 Kb L2 cache. The price of this entry-level processor is estimated to be of 53$ in thousand-unit quantities. The E1000 series processors will still be produced at 65nm, using a Conroe-based core, but the 45nm processors are intended to enter production line in November this year.

The first 45nm processor from the E4000 series announced for 2008 by Intel will be E4700. This CPU will have a core frequency of 2600MHz, 800MHz FSB and 2Mb L2 cache. The estimated price of this E4000 series processor will be of 133$ in thousand-unit quantities. For the second CPU from this series, the model number has not been set yet, but sources announced that it is likely to support 1066MHz FSB and 3Mb L2 cache.

The end of the single-core processors can also be predicted because Intel has already started to aim at the quad-core processors. As the frequency of these processors is in a continuous growth, the single-core CPUs will soon disappear. Another important reason for this tendency is the fact that the quad-core CPUs have a reasonable low costs, the price difference between them and dual-core processors being unnoticeable.

Source

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
No reason to opt for the single core processor now. If your motherboard does not support dual core proc, then it is clearly time for an upgrade.

Multi Core is the way to go!

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
as long as my machine is single core (i just got a hint of u-pgrade by next month) single core isnt out dated :D

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
^ yup i read that in digit mag, dont remember in which issue.

Intel is planning to do so. .
1024 cores = 1 Kilocore
1024 Kcores = 1 Megacore
1024 Mcores = 1 Gigacore

and so on . . . in the future. . .

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
I got a Pentium 4 3.06 Ghz CPU with Hyperthreading, now its not dual core but it is good enough for my needs, thats why i m not upgrading now.

I run Windows Vista on this 4 years old computer, with 2 GB RAM & GeForce 6600gt with 256 MB RAM (2nd hand), it works fine here with the hardware I got, so why upgrade.

p_d5010

Journeyman
I will upgrade my single amd athlon 3000+ when quad core cpus become mainstream.......till then it will suffice easily with overclock :D

B

bigdaddy486

i have even seen people using p2 and i too have an old p3 which is on the store......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom