Do i need a new processor????

Should I change my Processor

• It might work out good for u if u do

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No need to change processor(pls give reason)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

moshel

Padawan
Hey guyz,

i need some help......see currently i have a decent enough system but just sometimes i feel its a bit slow maybe becos of the processor. here are my sys specs

Mercury 845 gl motherboard
Celeron 2.4 ghz processor
512 mb ram
Geforce 6200 256 mb agp card
80 + 40 gigs HDD

all games run properly but sometimes they become a bit slow. one of my frnd told me that the processor is slow as its only celeron.
so what should i do???
should i change the processor? is it possible to change the processor only and not the motherboard.
as hardware vendors keep saying to me that if u want to change processor, u have to change the motherboard too....
if i can change only processor, then which processor should i go for?

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
I have a Athlon 2.2 ghz and it works fine with most games. The lag you encounter could be mainly due to lack of RAM (I have 1 gig RAM) or due to your graphics card not being able to handle the rendering (I have a nvidia 6800). Easiest option would be to increase your RAM and you should see a marked diff in games. And there are plenty of P4 processors which will work just as well on your motherboard. So no u dont need to change ur mobo.

rachitar

Journeyman
I think best is to change your processor to P4.
Dont know about its compatibility with your current motherboard though

zombie

Resident Weapons Expert
Moshel, bhaila...what kind of games are you into and at what resolution ? 512MB is good enough if you dont turn on all the eye candy. But if you want all the goodies, go for 1GB RAM. Preferably 6600/6800. Coming back to the 'core' issue, 845GL will support max FSB of 400 MHz, so your choices are limited. Here are 2 links for you. The first one gives you the list of CPUs in P4 (non-HT)class while the second one gives comparison between top 3 CPUs compatible with your mobo.

*indigo.intel.com/compare_cpu/default.aspx?familyID=1

*indigo.intel.com/compare_cpu/showchart.aspx?mmID=850365,848645,850364&familyID=1&culture=en-US

Bhai, suggestion saru lage to PM karje. Happy hunting.

phatratt

In the zone
celeron has lesser cache mamory u will find some lag or slower framerate,just bring down the resolution and turnoff several graphics options and enjoy better frame rates.the question is why upgrade by spending thousand bucks just for fewer framerates??If gaming is u'r hobby then i would suggest to upgrade the entire rig.

OP
moshel

moshel

Padawan
hey guyz,
thanks for the info
now i am deep into trouble of overheating woes
i think my processor is overheating
when i first start my comp the power tempreture in around 30 deg c
and when my computer restarts with a blue screen error, i see the tempreture at 57 Deg C.

so what should i do in this case now, change the processor and motherboard
my hardware vendor is saying abt 8k for a AMD 2800 64 bit motherboard and processor

vijay_7287

Cyborg Agent
well if u do have the bucks ,
then movin to AMD is the smartest thing to do
jus make sure tht the mobo u get has a lot of upgradable features

i suggest
MSI-rs480m2-il
but sadly it has a PCIE slot
so ur agp card wont work on it

OP
moshel

moshel

Padawan
no way im moving to PCIE, i just bout new agp card last month, and i feel theres still time to go before it becomes out of date....
suggest me good motherboard/processor of amd in 8k range

zombie

Resident Weapons Expert
My two cents...

Dude its better to opt for PCIE as its the way to go and its better to buy a mobo with PCIE if at all you want to buy a new one. But as you said that you want to stick around with AGP, then dont go for a new mobo rather try to add some extra fans to your cabinet and if it still doesnt work out then go for a new CPU rather than older mobo + CPU combo.

S

saiaspire

Hey! A celeron takes ages to decode gaming arithmetics, so change ur processor and if u have cash, then add some ram.

OP
moshel

moshel

Padawan
no hardware ppl are ready to change the processor only.....
im also trying to get some hardware engineer to maybe do so thermal grease to see if this thing gets done temporarily, as i dont have much money to invest.
still checking for prices in range of 8k guys tell me good amd mobo+processor in abt 8k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom