Status
Not open for further replies.

ApoorvKhatreja

Journeyman
What DNS servers do you guys use? Ok, I don't know much about DNS servers, but I do know about the Domain Name System, and that all the domain names are translated to their respective IP addresses. But what role does a DNS server play in this? And if it just translates the names to Ip addresses, then how do different DNS servers affect browsing speeds and other conditions. I'm currently using OpenDNS Servers-

I'm a having a few problems with these servers, I don't know if the problems are really related to the DNS servers or not, but what I do know is that changing them solves the problem temporarily.

mediator

Technomancer
DNS servers do affect browsing speed! If u have ever used rapidshare or megaupload etc, u might have once encountered something like "Too many users" and then ur not able to download!

Similarly, if too many DNS queries r taking place at a particular DNS server ( the one u r using ) then u r bound to be affected! Thats why I too keep on changing my DNS servers.

Wheneva ur ISP's DNS servers aren't responding quickly, then change to public DNS servers and vice versa! Most people complaint about their slow browsing speeds without actually realising the working beneath! :)

mediator

Technomancer
Q : What DNS servers r?
A : The Domain Name Server resolves the name of the web site typed into the location field of the browser with the IP address of the server that will send the requested information from that web site
Read this

The Public DNS Service is a free, part-time, voluntary service of some engineers and their computers that answer DNS queries along with some web pages to create and edit DNS zone files (data).
*soa.granitecanyon.com/faq.shtml#q9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom