DMA, DMA, where have you gone!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

a_to_z123

asia://india/ka/bangalore
Hi anybody :lol: ,
Well I bought a new CD-Writer and installed it as the Secondary Master, with my HDD & CD-ROM as Primary Master & Slave respectively 8) .
Earlier the Nero Drive Info showed DMA On for my HDD and CD-Writer, but once when I reformatter and reinstalled WinXP, it shows DMA off for the CD-Writer. :oops:
It uses a 40-pin cable. So can anybody tell me how to turn it on again, as I lose up quite a lotta time copying all those CDs. :roll:
Bye! I'll be waiting for your reply.

PS: I promise one GMail invitation for the person who first solves my problem. Remember, first I'll try your solution, then only provide the invite. So be patient. Rest assured.

suhas_sm

Journeyman
You need to set DMA under the IDE controler part of the device manager if you are running XP.
Also if you are using intel's application accelerator then DMA is PROBABLY on. Nero info tool does not accurately reflect the true DMA status of all the drives when the intel application accelerator is used.

OP
a_to_z123

a_to_z123

asia://india/ka/bangalore
Yeah I'm using WinXP but have a P4M66 VIA Chipset Motherboard. So no Intel Accelerator here. So puhleaze...tell me how can I be sure about whether DMA is on or not!

suhas_sm

Journeyman
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
;-----  To be used manually when windows will not set hard drives or optical drives to DMA mode
  ;-----  (this tweak does not mean that your drives will be in DMA mode, you will still have to do that yourself)
  ;-----
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0001]
"MasterDeviceTimingModeAllowed"=dword:ffffffff
"SlaveDeviceTimingModeAllowed"=dword:ffffffff
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0002]
"MasterDeviceTimingModeAllowed"=dword:ffffffff
"SlaveDeviceTimingModeAllowed"=dword:ffffffff
read ,copy,paste this in text file and save as dma.reg n double click it .

archzillanx

Broken In
Hey bud ,
i dunno know wether what i am goin to tell u is right or not but try it. Check Out the BIOS first k. If every thing is f ine there then goto device manager there under IDE Controllers chek out wether ur device is on DMA mode o r PIO mode ther u will get a option to change it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom