.dll,.vxd file problems!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

krisjr

In the zone
Hi,
I recently installed a brand new ethernet card in my PC..the first time i did there were some probs,after that suddenly while booting these probs started cropping up..vnetsup.vxd,vredir.vxd,dfs.vxd and msnp32.dll not found and some devices wont work properly etc etc...but still after pressing enter many times i managed to boot..everytime from then on i pressed enter many times and managed somehow..my enet card isint working still..wat could be the prob.
The card is from Dlink.i did install the drivers prop.i have win98se,it detects the lan card and then asks for win98se cd etc etc..all thats fine but wat abt tis prob.

any suggestions....

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
Click [Start]>[Run]>'sfc' and scan for altered files. Keep ur OS CD handy, in case some files need to be restored. Probably u may need to reinstall network components.

OP
K

krisjr

In the zone
i dont hav the OS cd,i hav win 98(setup files etc) in my e drive..3partions..I ran that but nothing much happened.i reinstalled but same prob.i changed the lan card from PCI slot to slot but still no change..

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
also try removing ur card , going into windows , either normal or safe mode after all the enter . add/rem prog > windows setup , under communication , uncheck all thats given . restart , attach ur nic and install the drivers and do the mandatory reboot . after reboot , check all the communications services u need from windows setup .

if the above doesnt do the trick , right click network neighbourhood , remove all services and protocols and reboot and reinstall them individually .

Take a registry backup in each step just in case , but running scanregw and choosing take back each time .

update win98 se with unofficial update

*exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html

this is a newer one , but an RC1 , so try it laters once u fix ur present problem

*www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/Unofficial-Windows-SE-Service-Pack.shtml

OP
K

krisjr

In the zone
klinux said:
also try removing ur card , going into windows , either normal or safe mode after all the enter . add/rem prog > windows setup , under communication , uncheck all thats given . restart , attach ur nic and install the drivers and do the mandatory reboot . after reboot , check all the communications services u need from windows setup .

if the above doesnt do the trick , right click network neighbourhood , remove all services and protocols and reboot and reinstall them individually .

Take a registry backup in each step just in case , but running scanregw and choosing take back each time .

update win98 se with unofficial update

*exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html

this is a newer one , but an RC1 , so try it laters once u fix ur present problem

*www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/Unofficial-Windows-SE-Service-Pack.shtml

hi there,
mate am no geek so plz explain in english..abt tis unofficial update-is it safe mate..ok i got ur second suggestion..if i delete all those tcp/ip protocols,microsoft login family stuff then reboot,but ten after from wer will i again install the stuff..

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
ok , those settings can be brought back , either by installing them seperately from network in control panel or by simply , checking communications options in windows setup . even if anything goes wrong ( it normally wont ;) ) in the above steps , u can use the scanregw backups to restore them .

By unchecking communications options in windows setup and restarting and again checking them , u are just uninstalling and reinstalling them . this way , ur corrupt files and corrupt entries in system files can be restored. if it asks for the windows 98 se to install important files , just browse to the path where u have the win98 backup or just type in the path in the box .

i hope i havent confused too much ;) if u r confused , try this link with pictures

*www.netfaqs.com/Windows/DUN/Win98/Reinstall/index.asp

OP
K

krisjr

In the zone
thanx a bunch pal klinux and klaw...trial and error solved the prob.i checkd in sfc but nothing came..i tried installing uninstalling etc etc..finally got it..perseverence pays..just asking wat if i wud hav downloaded those .vxd and .dll files and tried to execute them..wud it hav made an impact.do let me know plz..

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
well if u have updated versions of those particular files which are corrupt , it would have solved the problem too . eg the unofficial service pack (USP) is mainly made up of all the individual patches from the windows site . instead of searching and download each file , u get it as a whole package . u even have option to uninstall USP . hope u took another scanregw and backup after u fixed ur problem . just in case for the future ;) .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom