Disturbing CMOS Settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

reddick

Mobile Freak
I changed some settings in BIOS like first boot device,pasword,advance settings so that my PC boot up fastly.But everytime i start up d machine each time it shows default settings n this takes so much time to boot up! Also the time is incorrect each time...Whn i search 4 d error i came 2 know that the problem is CMOS :shock: AnyOne tell me wht is CMOS and how to fix the problem so that the BIOS settings remain as I did and shows correct date n time :oops:

*AMD 2000+
*ASUS MotherBoard
*256 MB
*40 GB HDD
*WinXP SP1

THX BRO FOR UR SUPPORT!!!

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
U hv to change the CMOS battery.
Look in ur motherboard and U'll find a small coin size battery, replace it with a new one.

expertno.1

Technomancer
u can reset the cmos by resetting the jumper

see your mobo manual its there on how to do this

coz this varies from mobo to mobo
for mine it was rj2314 jumper

OP
reddick

reddick

Mobile Freak
Thx 4 ur ans. but here i wana tell u that i have discarded d manual accidentally :cry: OR I can show my old battery n gt d new...As serial no. is written on d old one too! I have ASUS mobo...Any HELP!!!

expertno.1

Technomancer
reddick said:
Thx 4 ur ans. but here i wana tell u that i have discarded d manual accidentally :cry: OR I can show my old battery n gt d new...As serial no. is written on d old one too! I have ASUS mobo...Any HELP!!!

ok replace the cmos battery

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
1. As far as you're concerned, BIOS and CMOS are the same thing. BIOS (Basic Input Output System) speaks of the function whereas the term CMOS (Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor) comes from the technology used in making the BIOS chip or IC (Integrated Circuit).

CMOS technology is used to make many different types of electronic ICs, one of which is the BIOS chip on a motherboard. It's like saying 'house' or 'home' - your house may or may not be your home.

2. As already pointed out by others, your problem is most likely to be a weak CMOS battery. When your computer is turned off, the CMOS chip draws a tiny amount of current from the battery to retain your settings. If the battery is too weak, all your settings will be lost when the computer is turned off.

Practically all motherboards use a CR2032 lithium battery. When going to buy a new one, you can ask for a CR2032 battery or simply a CMOS battery or you can remove the old one and show it at the shop.

OP
reddick

reddick

Mobile Freak
Hey it's so gud 2 listen frm u...i gona replace battery 2day n gona tell u d results...THX AGAIN :p

expertno.1

Technomancer
consult your vendor and know your mobo model ..it will help in future

or if you post here i will tell you to reset the cmos using the jumper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom