Disk Defragmentation Error...

Status
Not open for further replies.

go4saket

Hi Guys!

I have four partitions in my HDD. Although three are working fine, one of them has become quite slow. So I tried to Defragment it, but everytime I try to do so, it says that CHKDSK is scheduled to run on next system reboot and defragmantation is only possible after the process of CHKDSK. Everytime I start Windows XP, CHKDSK performs a check on that particular drive and gives a green signal. This happens everytime I start Windows.

How can I stop this from happening so that I can defrag my drive.

Thank you.

Sometimes it happens that disk check always starts to check the file system on one or more drives for consistency. If any key is pressed, the disk checking is aborted. Actually this is because some data structure of the drive or some file is corrupted which can not be recovered and check disk is always run at Windows startup. Or sometimes it may take several hours for disk checking to scan all the drives. So disabling it or postponing disk check is better. There are several methods to disable disk checking at Windows startup. Two of them are given below:

Method 1: Using CHKNTFS utility
------------------------------------

CHKNTFS is a utility by Microsoft, available on Windows XP and Vista, that can be used to disable disk checking on certain drives at Windows startup. To use this utility go to Start –> Run –> cmd. (On Vista, use an admin console)

Now for example, If you want to disable check disk on C: drive, use the following command on command prompt:

Code:
chkntfs /X C:

If you want to disable check disk on two or more drives, just keep on adding the drives:

Code:
chkntfs /X C: D: E:

This will disable check disk on C, D and E drives.

If you want to restore what you have done, that is, enable automatic disk checking on all the drives again, just run the following command:

Code:
chkntfs /D

This will restore all the drives to automatic disk checkup.

Method 2: Using Registry
----------------------------
To disable automatic disk checking at Windows startup through registry, go to the following registry key:

Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager

In the right hand pane, double click BootExecute.

The default value of the key is autocheck autochk *

* means every drive is checked for consistency. Just add /K:C at the end before *. /K switch will disable autocheck on C: drive at Windows startup. So the final value should look like this:

Code:
autocheck autochk /k:C *

If you want to add more drives, the key should look like this: (disabling C and D drives)

Code:
autocheck autochk /k:C /k:D *

If you want to restore everything to default, just replace the key with the default one i.e.,

Code:
autocheck autochk *

I hope this will solve your problem. However, The best advice i can give you is that, if possible, move your data to a different drive and then format this drive using quick format and then recopy data so that the disk's data structures become consistent again.

^You tried what i posted above buddy? The slow running of your drive is also because of these inconsistent data structures. I had this problem sometime b4 with my desktop system in Windows XP. I lost a lot of data at that time coz i took it lightly. :-|

OP
go4saket

go4saket

^You tried what i posted above buddy? The slow running of your drive is also because of these inconsistent data structures. I had this problem sometime b4 with my desktop system in Windows XP. I lost a lot of data at that time coz i took it lightly. :-|

Tried what you suggested. It doesnt check it when Windows starts but even now when I try to defragment my drive, it gives the same error.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom