DISASTER !! PLS PLS PLS HELP ME

Status
Not open for further replies.

israramrelia

Broken In
DEAR FORUM READER,

I AM IN THE WORST OF DISASTER PLS HELP ME OUT AND THT TOO SOON.

I HAVE
AN AMD ATHLON XP 1800
256MB SD RAM
SIS 630/730 CHIPSET
80 GB SAMSUNG 0802N HDD (4 PARTITIONS : C,D,E,F)
SAMSUNG SM252B CD WRITER
AND THE SAMSUNG OFFER DVD DRIVE.

THE THING IS THT I HAD 2 OS :
(C:) WINDOWS 2000 PROF. &
(D:) WINDOWS 98 SE

BUT WINDOWS 2000 PARTITION STARTED TO GIVE ME SOME PROBLEM SO I FORMATTED MY C: AND STARTED LOADING WINDOWS 2000 PROF. DURING THE SETUP I DECIDED TO CONVERT MY FILE SYSTEM TO NTFS SO DID I, ALTHOUGH IT GAVE MY A WARNING THT MY OTHER OS WILL GO CORRUPT IF I HAVE ANY THEN TOO I CONTINUED TO CONVERT TO NTFS. THE SETUP CONVERTED THE PARTITION TO NTFS AND STARTED COPYING WINDOWS DURING WHICH IT GAVE ME WARNING 4 TIMES THT 4 FILES CANNOT BE COPIED.

I PRESSED ESC AND CONTINUED WITHOUT THOSE 4 FILES. THE SETUP COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY AND WINDOWS STARTED LOADING FOR THE FIRST TIME BUT THE DESKTOP AND TASKBAR DOESNT LOAD. THE LOGON SCREEN APPEARS AND TASK MANAGER CAN ALSO BE BROUGHT UP BY PRESSING CTRL+ALT+DEL BUT THERE IS NO TASKBAR AND ALSO NO DESKTOP NO ICONS NOTHING.

SO I DECIDED TO USE MY WIN 98 BUT THT TOO IS NOT LOADING ITS GIVING A "VFAT ERROR SYSTEM HALTED" THING. I DECIDED TO AGAIN FORMAT MY C: BUT WHEN I BOOTED MY PC WITH WIN 2000 BOOTABLE IT DOESNT SHOWS MY C: IT SHOWS MY
D: AS C:
E: AS D: AND
F: AS E:

MY C: ISNT SEEN :(

I AM VERY WORRIED COZ I HAVE GOT AROUND 30-35 GB's OF VERY IMP DATA ON MY OTHER PARTITIONS (D:,E:,F:)
DUNNO WHT TO DO WITH MY PC. PLS SUGGEST HOW CAN I CONVERT THE NTFS TO FAT32 AGAIN. AND HOW CAN I MAKE MY PC NORMAL AGAIN WITH 2 OS.

pratham_gharat2003

Right off the assembly line
did u convert both the drives to ntfs?
if yes then u r in trouble, windows 98se cannot support ntfs drive.
it supports fat 16, fat 32 and (i think fat 24)

and for the 4 files tat didnt copy i think the setup was corrupt or some other reason.

and i think ur c: has just vanished due to faulty conversion.

I suggest u call some one trained. Like form some computer services.

technoteen

Journeyman
no need to worry for the data on other drives as it will be safe till the time you dont play with those partitions and dont do that
98 wont load if had certain of its files on c: as it does not recognizes ntfs

if some of your friend has win xp or win 2k installed in his system, take your drive to his place, connect it as slave and start the system
after the recognition of drives by xp is done, carefully see which are your c drive and d drive and copy whatever data you need from them to your e: and f: drives
then format your c: and d: to fat 32, now bet back home and reattach your drive to your system and install both 98 and 2k with installing 98 before 2k. your data on e and f drive will be safe in all these process

OP
I

israramrelia

Broken In
thnks buddy

thnks techno but the thing is none of my frnds has win 2000 or win xp all have win 98 pls suggest some other solution.

technoteen

Journeyman
ok another solution less hassel but will lose data on your c: drive
i hope you know how to boot from floppy
get your win 98 bootable floppy or create it from any of your frineds system
pop it in and start your pc booting from floppy drive and select start windows without cd support (will just increase the pace)
now typr fdisk at the prompt and press enter, select yes for large disk and also for the the ntfs partion
it will open a gui
then go for deleting partiton and select delete non dos partiton, there carefully revive which was your c: drive and delete it, then select create partiton and create the partition in free space. and set the newly created artiton as active partition
then install win 2k on this drive and you can revive your d drive as per instructions above

i have never tried this thing so dont know if it works correctly

tuxfan

Technomancer
Boot using Knoppix 3.6. It will auto-mount all FAT and NTFS partitions. See what data you can back up using it. Take a back-up and format. If possible go for a low level format, delete all partitions and remake them.

OP
I

israramrelia

Broken In
THNX A LOT BUDDY

technoteen said:
ok another solution less hassel but will lose data on your c: drive
i hope you know how to boot from floppy
get your win 98 bootable floppy or create it from any of your frineds system
pop it in and start your pc booting from floppy drive and select start windows without cd support (will just increase the pace)
now typr fdisk at the prompt and press enter, select yes for large disk and also for the the ntfs partion
it will open a gui
then go for deleting partiton and select delete non dos partiton, there carefully revive which was your c: drive and delete it, then select create partiton and create the partition in free space. and set the newly created artiton as active partition
then install win 2k on this drive and you can revive your d drive as per instructions above

i have never tried this thing so dont know if it works correctly

THNX A LOT BUDDY I TRIED THIS SOLUTION OF URS AND IT WORKED :) GR8 ISNT IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom