Disallowing access to partitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apollo

"Technologic"
Staff member
Is it possible to disallow access to certain partitions on the HDD on a PC with shared access? The admin(in case of Win XP) should be able to view it but no other account should have access to these drives.

phatratt

In the zone
yes,its possible,if u r using win2k or xp u can convert the drives to ntfs filesystem which has lot of security features,it gives options to permit/deny access to users.

OP
Apollo

Apollo

"Technologic"
Staff member
Okay.

How do I go about disallowing a particular drive from being viewed via a non-admin account in WinXP?

sakumar79

Technomancer
Go to Security Tab and add users to the list that are not admin. For each of these users, set permissions to read/modify/access to DENY... Note: Since Deny permissions overwrite access permissions, be very careful and avoid setting it for generic groups such as Everyone or Users. Remember that Administrator is also a member of these groups and will also be denied access...

Arun

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
Hey buddy , type gpedit.msc in run and u will see a hell lot of options to tweak ur computer , including the one u want.

Shinx

Right off the assembly line
First go to windows explorer.Go to Tools>folder options>view(tab).uncheck the box "Use simple file sharing (Recommended)".now u'll be able to see the security tab in drive properties.now follow what sakumar said.

h_kunte

Journeyman
I have a removable HDD....Any way in which I can hide an entire partition so that when I attach it to some other PC, the partition isnt seen???

sude

Tech'ing life seriously!!
hey check out the fast track issue to WinXP... u will find ur answers...

-SUDE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom