DirectX 10 GPUs to Consume up to 300W

Status
Not open for further replies.

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
ATI and NVIDIA have been briefing power supply manufacturers in Taiwan recently about what to expect for next year’s R600 and G80 GPUs. Both GPUs will be introduced in late 2006 or early 2007, and while we don’t know the specifications of the new cores we do know that they will be extremely power hungry. The new GPUs will range in power consumption from 130W up to 300W per card. ATI and NVIDIA won't confirm or deny our findings and we are receiving conflicting information as to the exact specifications of these new GPUs, but the one thing is for sure is that the power requirements are steep.
Power supply makers are being briefed now in order to make sure that the power supplies they are shipping by the end of this year are up to par with the high end GPU requirements for late 2006/early 2007. You will see both higher wattage PSUs (1000 - 1200W) as well as secondary units specifically for graphics cards. One configuration we’ve seen is a standard PSU mounted in your case for your motherboard, CPU and drives, running alongside a secondary PSU installed in a 5.25” drive bay. The secondary PSU would then be used to power your graphics cards.

Source

Now we will need 1000W PSU's just to enjoy DX10 graphics. How nice.

Last edited:

nishant_nms

Cyborg Agent
was thinking of buying 6600gt then I heard about DX10 few months ago then droped the plan to buy the GFX card. But I think that I should buy 6600 after reading the post

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
Me currently on a 400W SMPS , My computer consumes already too much power when i am gaming. well DX10 gpu's are 2 years away from me , it will take 2 yrs for the costs to come down to my level .

I think it is the gamers and designers who advance the hardware to the next level. My friends who don't game are using old system and never worry about upgrade.

jamyang312

Journeyman
it's really sad to hear this.
such high power consumptions would prevent many from using it and it might spell doom for ati and nvidia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom