Digit Unofficial Chat-Room [IRC]

Status
Not open for further replies.

chinmay

Journeyman
Disclaimer: This Chat-Room isn't affiliated with Digit or Jasubhai Digital Media in any way. The server on which #thinkdigit channel is hosted also hosts the official Neowin chat-room but we are not connected wiith it in any way.

I had previously seen a few thread on suggestions about startin a Digit Chat Room but it didn't turn out to be much of a success. So I have registered a chatroom on the Stardock IRC server. You folks can join it if you want. Here are the details :-

:idea: Server - irc.stardock.com

:idea: Channel - #thinkdigit

For those who aren't familiar with IRC and don't know how to use it :-

Internet Relay Chat (IRC) is a form of instant communication over the Internet. It is mainly designed for group (many-to-many) communication in discussion forums called channels, but also allows one-to-one communication.

Wiki

Here is a small tutorial on how to use an IRC Client :-

I am using X-Chat as it is the easiest to use client and you don't need to remember IRC commands for it.

It can be downloaded here.

Note :- X-chat is a shareware and is free only for 30 days. So instead you can download a free build(Daemon404 build) here. It is almost similar to the paid X-Chat atleat I didn't see a difference :p

The program is only 1.5mb and won't hurt dial-up users too.

Now once you have downlaoded and installed it you need to :-

* Launch the application.

*Click on X-Chat in the top bar

*Click On Server List

*Enter the information similarly as I have entered in the screnshot below :-

*img221.imageshack.us/img221/2549/hmm10or.jpg

* Add a Network and name it as digit or whatever you want.

*Then Click on the edit button and enter the settings as I have entered in the screenshot below :-

*img211.imageshack.us/img211/9784/hnnnnnnnn2lc.jpg

* Click on Close and then select Digit and click on Connect in Server list and you are done.

Happy Chatting :)

Those who are facing problem or do not want to install IRC Clients you can directly enter the chat from here ==> *www.digitchat.uni.cc

Once you reach there you will logged in with the nick 'digit-annon'. Just type '/NICK urdigitid' to display your digit id as your nick.

Note :- You need to have the Java Runtime Environment(JRE) installed to use it.

The credit goes to ujjwal for making this Java Applet :p

P.S. ->

Please do not start a war on the IRC Client. If you like a particular IRC Client better than X-Chat you can happily use it and suggest it here but do not spoil the thread by pointing out cons of a particular client.

If moderators and admins have problem with the thread feel free to PM Me.

OP
chinmay

chinmay

Journeyman
Well it_waaznt_me(batty) started this room as we were all pissed by the booters in the Yahoo conferences. But it wasn't taken seriously as everytime all the people used to leave the room it used to delete. So I talked with the admin of Stardock about it and got it registered officially.

OP
chinmay

chinmay

Journeyman
Did you enter the information correctly as shown in the screenshot ? ... if yes then try different port... replace 6667 in server with 6000. Try some other similar numbers too. May be your ports are blocked by your ISP

OP
chinmay

chinmay

Journeyman
Well guys, those who are facing problem or do not want to install IRC Clients you can directly enter the chat from here ==> *www.digitchat.uni.cc

Once you reach there you will logged in with the nick 'digit-annon'. Just type '/NICK urdigitid' to display your digit id as your nick.

P.S. -> You need to have the Java Runtime Environment(JRE) installed to use it.

The credit goes to ujjwal for doing this :p

OP
chinmay

chinmay

Journeyman
Well, any specific reason you don't like the idea? Because its already running the official channels of famous sites like Neowin and I have never seen the server crapping up.

And personally I have faced a lot of IRC booting and other problems on freenode servers.

planetcall

Indian by heart
It is because I have been using freenode and most of the opensource projects are running on freenode. Freenode signifies freedom and thats it. No specific reason and I have no objection to the channel being run on any server :) I thought of doing it myself a few months ago but I saw it would be hard to manage it as I dont have the fulltime internet (lol Dataone) and the time to manage it. Though now there exists a #thinkdigit channel at Freenode server.
I strongly support the irc channel for digit. It would let many open up to a plethora of knowledge. Lol almost all of my pals use yahoo. shit! They say irc interface looks like msdos.lol! now they will be having a reason to use it.

You may use chatzilla extension of firefox if you dont have any irc client or dont know which one to select. chatzilla is much improved now and supports scripting.
*addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?application=firefox&id=16

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
^^
Chatzilla extension of firefox offers less features.Chatzilla uses a lot of CPU usage (atleast in my old PC) and we all know abt FX's CPU usage as well. MIRC is the best client but unfortunately it's not free. Even now I use MIRC for downloading stuffs. :p Anyways I dont want to get into this-client-is-the-best sort of war in here.

techno_funky

da' Ťurntable ruleth
hey nice initiative this one is ive been in the chat room for quite a while now
and this seems a good prospect
and this a good reason to rejoice for the people
who once cried hoarse for having a chat room for digit
so people whay not get into here
:)

shoegoe

Broken In

Hey chinmay, i've experienced some problem (too often). Presently it gives me a messege that "unable to connect channel ( invites only). And i wasnt able to post messege in the channel often( resolved now). today(on 25/12) i wasnt even able to login to irc server. I get request timed out. Since most of the websites wasnt opening today, the problem should be in dataone server..So the third prob doenst count but the first one is too much buggy

Awaithing reply
:D

OP
chinmay

chinmay

Journeyman
There wer some issues because I was tryin to experiment on something and i put the room on invites only by mistake. Everything is solved now.

Enjoy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom