ramu

Banned
I want to buy a proc for my socket 478 mboard supports 800FSB

What is the Difference between
P4 3.06Ghz@533FSB and P43.0Ghz@800FSB
both have 1MB cache

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
Isn't it obvious ??? the later has 800 MHz FSB ... :p .. otherwise there is nothing much different in them ... the later one will give u slightly better performance ..

Sand

Broken In
i was told by one of my local vendors that the difference in performance is negligable is this correct

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
deathvirus_me said:
Isn't it obvious ??? the later has 800 MHz FSB ... :p .. otherwise there is nothing much different in them ... the later one will give u slightly better performance ..

No later one would not give you better performance, unless you have the RAM to utilise it. FSB is the speed that the CPU communicates with RAM (memory). Higher FSB only increases performance when you push your RAM to fully utilises it.
FSB is always Quad Pumped the actual Bus speed. Like if your processor supports 800 FSB its actual bus speed is 200*4(Quad pumped). This means in layman tearms that you can run your memory to a max of 800 mhz, though it also depends upon the FSB/Mem ratio you set in the BIOS.
For ramu if you are running your memory to default 533, it makes no difference if you have 533FSB or 800FSB, you will feel no difference.

Last edited:
OP
R

ramu

Banned
sam9s said:
No later one would not give you better performance, unless you have the RAM to utilise it. FSB is the speed that the CPU communicates with RAM (memory). Higher FSB only increases performance when you push your RAM to fully utilises it.
FSB is always Quad Pumped the actual Bus speed. Like if your processor supports 800 FSB its actual bus speed is 200*4(Quad pumped). This means in a layman tearms that you can run your memory to a max of 800 mhz, though it also depends upon the FSB/Mem ratio you set in the BIOS.
For ramu if you are running your memory to default 533, it makes no difference if you have 533FSB or 800FSB, you will feel no difference.

I have 2x256MB --DDR400 in dual channel

so which proc should i purchase the 3.06Ghz@533 FSB or 3Ghz@800FSB

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
^^ if you are planning to use DDR 400........Pentium with 533 FSB is as good as any other......

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
sam9s said:
FSB is always Quad Pumped the actual Bus speed. Like if your processor supports 800 FSB its actual bus speed is 200*4(Quad pumped). This means in layman tearms that you can run your memory to a max of 800 mhz, though it also depends upon the FSB/Mem ratio you set in the BIOS.

No matter how cool it sound .. the actual performance diff. is hardly noticeable,, ,

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
deathvirus_me said:
No matter how cool it sound .. the actual performance diff. is hardly noticeable,, ,

Am I speaking spanish here................?????

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
deathvirus_me said:
Well , ur not .. but that diff. in FSB is only on papers , in actual real time performance it hardly matters ...

Am not sure you know what you are speaking........FSB is the MAJOR factor when is comes to pushing your RAM to its limits........neeway I respect your concepts..........so be it........EOD

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
OK .. lets put it this way ... compare a E4300 with a E6300 ... tha later has 1066 MHz FSB , and the E4300 has just 800 MHz FSB .. so on paper , the E6300 is actually faster ... but look for some benchies ... u'll see the actual performance diff. (i mean in applications,games and not synthetic benchmarks) is hardly noticeable ...

For older CPU's , specially Pentium4's .. the main difference maker was 'HT' .. a P4 2.8 GHz HT CPU would definitely be better than a 533 MHz counterpart ... but thats it ... normal P4's would hardly make a difference ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom