Difference between 32bit & 64bit WinXP

Status
Not open for further replies.

jack// ani

In the zone
Hi all,

What is difference between 32bit and 64bit WindowsXP. Will the 64bit version work on a P4 machine.

Thanks

vijay_7287

Cyborg Agent
32 bit OS sends 32 bits of data a time to the proc

64 bit sends 64 bits at a time

for a 64 bit OS u need a 64bit proc like the AMD athlon64

implies it will not run on a normal p4

mind u there are 64 bit p4 available though rare in the Indian market !!!

dIgItaL_BrAt

Cyborg Agent
this link will help u out-->*www.microsoft.com/resources/docume...Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prka_fea_ejfy.asp

OP
J

jack// ani

In the zone
Thanks for reply.....so what is advantage of having a 64bit OS....do they perform better, are they fast??

Under what name do those 64bit p4 sells??

vijay_7287

Cyborg Agent
u can blindly say the 64 bit architecture is twice as fast the 32 bit one

but as of now there arent many s/w supporting and there are hell lot of compatibility issues

ie with the OS

as far as the procs are concerned
AMD's 64 bit athlons are ruling right now
their biggest adv bein their backward compatibility
check this for 64 bit stuff from AMD
*www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_9485_9487^10248,00.html

check this intel 64 stuff
*www.intel.com/technology/64bitextensions/

ashnik

Ambassador of Buzz
ya, but what's the bottom line?
will my Photoshop CS2 run faster on AMD 2800+ 64 bit and Win XP 64 bit than AMD 2800+ 64 bit and Win XP 32 bit?

also what does this mean?

Using an emulation layer, you can run 32-bit applications on Windows XP 64-Bit Edition. However, such applications run significantly slower on the 64-bit system than on the 32-bit system, because emulation requires additional resources.

teknoPhobia

t3h g04t
@vijay_7287

Actually, 64 bit is not equal to 2x32 bit despite what many people believe. The biggest difference is that the proccy can access much more memory as 32 bit addressing is limited to 4gb. Some efficiency improvements are there but in general its not really noticeable. Why don't you check out any of the benchmarks there are.

vijay_7287

Cyborg Agent
teknoPhobia said:
@vijay_7287

Actually, 64 bit is not equal to 2x32 bit despite what many people believe. The biggest difference is that the proccy can access much more memory as 32 bit addressing is limited to 4gb. Some efficiency improvements are there but in general its not really noticeable. Why don't you check out any of the benchmarks there are.

u got me wrong dude

wat i said was that the 64 bit platform is twice as fast as the 32 bit one

now when i talk abt a platform then i mean the complete setup

bole tho the proc, the OS and most importantly the applications

the benchmarks taken use same applications on diff procs, so not much of a diff ...

theraven

Technomancer
nope still wrong
64 bit proccy's do perform marginally better than 32 bit
but definitely not 2ce as much when compared to 32 bit proccys of same speed

ofcourse true 64 bit performance also depends on 64 bit benchmarks and software and os to show how much it truly outperforms its 32 bit counterpart
but still not close to 2ce as fast
not mathematically not logically and not even for comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom