1. Hi Guest
    We are running a survey about laptop service in India, and we'd love your inputs. Please help us improve the quality of laptop servicing, and if you've had any bad experiences, now is the time to be heard.
    Take the survey

difference b/w PCI and AGP ??

Discussion in 'QnA (read only)' started by prankzter, Dec 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prankzter

prankzter New Member

I have seen motherboards with specs like PCI slot Or agp Slot ( intel 865 has 8x agp and intel 915 has a PCI slot..)....
    wat is the difference between them anyway??

or 2 b more precise, wat is the difference b/w PCI and AGP slots and which is better??

2. Nemesis

Nemesis New Member

PCI was the old format...it was sorta replaced by AGP 4 graphics cards....PCI Express is the new format which is 4 everything like graphics cards, etc....the new boards frm intel use PCI Express which is going 2 b better than AGP.....most of the difference is on the speed they offer....this might help:
    http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/hardware/pcie.ars/1

or google it...a bunch of sites will open up....

3. yehmeriidhain

yehmeriidhain New Member

Speeds in wat they differ actually ... AGP provided great speeds oother than PCI's & expectedly good performances ... for high sppedd h/w

& this new pci express i was aware but didn't knw tht they R better than AGP's thx! for the info dude!!!

4. Ethan_Hunt

Ethan_Hunt New Member

Well Usually PCI was The older Counter Part as a Expansion Slots in PC And AGP was considered for extreme Graphics and eventually AGP Overtook PCI But now after the release of The PCI Express TEchnology I suppose it will give a way better competition to The AGP 8x Both In terms of speed And performance 8) .....But just one thing Ur motherboard Should be able to Support the PCI-Xpress Interface which is very less in normal motherboards and AGP is a Common Input.....But well The Future Is never Set so just sit back and enjoy what the technology offers....Try This links for more technical Explanation...... :)
    http://www.sharpened.net/helpcenter/answer.php?57
    http://www.cs.umd.edu/class/fall2001/cmsc411/projects/agp/pci_vs_agp.htm
    and lots more If u Can google it mate.... :D

5. Jatin_T

Jatin_T New Member

:?:
    I have asked this question many times her on the forums..in other threads..not an indiabidual thread..but i ask again!
    I have put my Geforce FX 5200 in a 4X AGp slot..it is downwards compatible for it..how much am i losiing by not having an 8X AGP slot?

6. Ethan_Hunt

Ethan_Hunt New Member

Use a Benchmarking Tool LIke SIS SandraSoft Or 3d MArk and compare the card Both on a 4x as Well As a 8X Agp Slot....since u dont have a 8x Slot try it at some of ur friends place who has a 8x Slot....As we cant exactly Judgement On the Loss Of Performance in a 4x Slot..... :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.