difference b/w PCI and AGP ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

prankzter

Journeyman
I have seen motherboards with specs like PCI slot Or agp Slot ( intel 865 has 8x agp and intel 915 has a PCI slot..)....
wat is the difference between them anyway??

or 2 b more precise, wat is the difference b/w PCI and AGP slots and which is better??

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
PCI was the old format...it was sorta replaced by AGP 4 graphics cards....PCI Express is the new format which is 4 everything like graphics cards, etc....the new boards frm intel use PCI Express which is going 2 b better than AGP.....most of the difference is on the speed they offer....this might help:
*arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/hardware/pcie.ars/1

or google it...a bunch of sites will open up....

yehmeriidhain

In the zone
Speeds in wat they differ actually ... AGP provided great speeds oother than PCI's & expectedly good performances ... for high sppedd h/w

& this new pci express i was aware but didn't knw tht they R better than AGP's thx! for the info dude!!!

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Well Usually PCI was The older Counter Part as a Expansion Slots in PC And AGP was considered for extreme Graphics and eventually AGP Overtook PCI But now after the release of The PCI Express TEchnology I suppose it will give a way better competition to The AGP 8x Both In terms of speed And performance 8) .....But just one thing Ur motherboard Should be able to Support the PCI-Xpress Interface which is very less in normal motherboards and AGP is a Common Input.....But well The Future Is never Set so just sit back and enjoy what the technology offers....Try This links for more technical Explanation...... :)
*www.sharpened.net/helpcenter/answer.php?57
*www.cs.umd.edu/class/fall2001/cmsc411/projects/agp/pci_vs_agp.htm
and lots more If u Can google it mate.... :D

Jatin_T

Journeyman
:?:
I have asked this question many times her on the forums..in other threads..not an indiabidual thread..but i ask again!
I have put my Geforce FX 5200 in a 4X AGp slot..it is downwards compatible for it..how much am i losiing by not having an 8X AGP slot?

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Use a Benchmarking Tool LIke SIS SandraSoft Or 3d MArk and compare the card Both on a 4x as Well As a 8X Agp Slot....since u dont have a 8x Slot try it at some of ur friends place who has a 8x Slot....As we cant exactly Judgement On the Loss Of Performance in a 4x Slot..... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom