Diff in 3g and EDGE

Status
Not open for further replies.

hailgautam

Youngling
I know the basic diff, but i wanted to why is that 3g phones do not support EDGE?

I had a SE P1i till last week and it would not work on MO-GPRS/EDGE. I called the call center but you know how hopeless they are - good for nothing useless salesmen. After few days of trouble shooting - I disconnected MO.

Now I took a Nokia E61i.

One more question -

In E61i I see E when I am connected to net via my phone - obviously it means that it is on EDGE network. However around 3 months back when I had SE K790i it would only show G - meaning GPRS. I am yet to see any diff in the download speeds. Can anyone tell me what could be the reason.

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
Its not that 3G phones do not support EDGE, unless you own one of the SE's but even SE nowadays provides both in one phone. Your E61i does support both EDGE as well as 3G and since your network supports EDGE, the E is shown in your display. When you had K790i, your network probably didn't supported EDGE.

johnjjx

Ambassador of Buzz
hailgautam said:
I know the basic diff, but i wanted to why is that 3g phones do not support EDGE?

I had a SE P1i till last week and it would not work on MO-GPRS/EDGE. I called the call center but you know how hopeless they are - good for nothing useless salesmen. After few days of trouble shooting - I disconnected MO.

Now I took a Nokia E61i.

One more question -

In E61i I see E when I am connected to net via my phone - obviously it means that it is on EDGE network. However around 3 months back when I had SE K790i it would only show G - meaning GPRS. I am yet to see any diff in the download speeds. Can anyone tell me what could be the reason.

i think k790i does hav EDGE but no 3G k800i doesnt have EDGE(only 3G)
rite now no network operators provide a 3G so if u dnt hav EDGE enabled phone u will simply b stuck with GPRS 48kbps modem instead of EDGE 268kbps(practically arnd 115kbps).

rite now airtel supports EDGE.........i heard news tht 2008 Q5 will bring 3G network too.........dunno for sure..
m using EDGE airtel MO too frm my k550i but during frm past few days the speed simply suxx 0-3kbps download speed n surfin takes hell time durin day...at nite(earlier it was same for both day n nite):(
20kbps+ download speed as it was before...
airtel delivered new settings prolly they restricted speed durin peak hours:mad:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom