Dialup Internet access on Linux!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ankitjain

Right off the assembly line
Can any one suggest me how to configure my Motorola SM56 modem no linux. I have downloaded it's drivers for Linux. Still not working.!!!!

ujjwal

Padawan
Well, you should give some info like what verion of linux (the linux kernel especially) you run, what is the exact problem etc. Most probably you have a soft modem, which requires a pecial driver to run. The driver ha to be compatible with your kernel ...

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
Internal Modems are not really true modems, in the sense that they use software instruction set to work... whereas external modems have firmware installed onto the chipset itslelf...

For everyone's record:

Much more information or driver kits for particular chipsets can be obtained at:

* *www.heby.de/ltmodem Lucent/Agere modem resources Manufacturer names of Lucent or Xircom may be displayed by the query "lspci -vv". These may be supported. The Lucent AMR modems are definitely not supported.
* *developer.intel.com/design/modems/support/drivers.htm Intel HaM driver
* *www-124.ibm.com/acpmodem/ IBM's Mwave modem driver for Thinkpad 600E and newer laptops. This is new modem card format, neither ISA or PCI.
* *linmodems.technion.ac.il/pctel-linux/ Jan's PCTel Resources
* *www.linuxant.com/drivers/ Linuxant offers the latest and greatest general purpose Conexant drivers for Linux.
* *walbran.org/sean/linux/stodolsk/linux111.zip Driver for ESS ISA Modems. Only for earlier 2.2 kernel versions.
* For 3COM/US Robotics Inc. winmodems, drivers were NOT available as of May, 2001.

For more information visit : www.linmodems.org

You can also download and install the soft modem driver form the motorola website
< *www.motorola.com/softmodem/driver.htm >

F.R.I.E.N.D.S

Broken In
well i have sm56 modem too, but as said it is hard to configure it in linux...

i want to know how can i configure this,
"External,V.90,K56Flex,Voice,Speakerphone" marked GVC on the modem....

i use redhat 9, the kernel is bash and 2.4 somthin....

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
well probably it needs answer here,,

but *sm56.tk/ have explained it lots clearly so I don't think I can explain better than that..

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
The external GVC modem if connects via the serial port requires no configration. Only the dialer has to be configured use wvdial so fitest give the command wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf then edit the wvdial.conf file in /etc and add the phone no username password once done use wvdial to connect to the net. Configuring the internal modem is a pain and not worth the effort as the drivers i found do not give the full speed so work with the external modem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom