Dial up modem not working on Fedora 5(64-bit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

phreak0ut

The Thread Killer >:)
Hi!
I´m using Fedora Core 5(64-bit) with kernel version 2.6.15-1.2054 on my system with the following configuration.
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (Venice Core)
MSI RS-480M2 motherboard
512 MB DDR RAM
160GB SATA Seagate harddrive

I tried to install the Linux driver for the modem DFM-560IS+++ on this configuration. The modem works absolutely fine with Windows 98/XP. Below is the log of the problem facing by me. Hope you can help me out.

(1) Installing through the *.rpm available on the CD didn´t work fine, so used the *.tar.gz package to install. Below is the installation instruction notes given on the CD and followed exactly by me.

If you have obtained the driver package in tar format:

1. extract the package with "tar -xzf hsflinmodem-<version>.tar.gz"

2. change to the package directory with "cd hsflinmodem-<version>"

3. run "make install" from the top of the package directory.

4. run "hsfconfig" to complete the installation and configure your modem.

(Alternatively to this whole procedure you may generate RPMS from the tar
package using rpm -ta hsflinmodem-<version>.tar.gz")

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
(2)Below is the installation which followed after typing the command:

[root@localhost hsflinmodem-4.06.06.02]# make install
make[1]: Entering directory `/root/Desktop/Applications,patches/Dialupmodemdriver/hsflinmodem-4.06.06.02/inf'
install -m 644 linux_athens.inf linux_hsfi.inf linux_hsf.inf linux_intel_smartmc.inf linux_smarthsf.inf /etc/hsf/inf
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/Desktop/Applications,patches/Dialupmodemdriver/hsflinmodem-4.06.06.02/inf'
make[1]: Entering directory `/root/Desktop/Applications,patches/Dialupmodemdriver/hsflinmodem-4.06.06.02/inf2bin'
cc -I../imported/include -I../modules/osspec/include -DFRAME_WORK=FWK_LINUX_SOFTK56 -DFRAME_WORK_IMPORTED -DOVERRIDE_NEW=1 -DPORTABILITY=0 -DMULTYDP -DHSFLINUXVERSION="\"4.06.06.02\"" -O2 -Wall -c -o inf2bin.o inf2bin.c
inf2bin.c: In function ‘ProcessString’:
inf2bin.c:230: warning: pointer targets in assignment differ in signedness
inf2bin.c: In function ‘ProcessCtryStruct’:
inf2bin.c:387: warning: pointer targets in assignment differ in signedness
cc -o hsfinf2bin inf2bin.o
install -m 755 hsfinf2bin /usr/sbin/hsfinf2bin
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/Desktop/Applications,patches/Dialupmodemdriver/hsflinmodem-4.06.06.02/inf2bin'
make[1]: Entering directory `/root/Desktop/Applications,patches/Dialupmodemdriver/hsflinmodem-4.06.06.02/firm2bin'
cc -I../imported/include -I../modules/osspec/include -DFRAME_WORK=FWK_LINUX_SOFTK56 -DFRAME_WORK_IMPORTED -DOVERRIDE_NEW=1 -DPORTABILITY=0 -DMULTYDP -O2 -Wall -c -o firm2bin.o firm2bin.c
cc -o hsffirm2bin firm2bin.o
install -m 755 hsffirm2bin /usr/sbin/hsffirm2bin
install -m 644 cnxykf.hex /etc/hsf
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/Desktop/Applications,patches/Dialupmodemdriver/hsflinmodem-4.06.06.02/firm2bin'
make[1]: Entering directory `/root/Desktop/Applications,patches/Dialupmodemdriver/hsflinmodem-4.06.06.02/scripts'
sed \
-e 's!@PREFIX@!/usr!g' \
-e 's!@HSFETCDIR@!/etc/hsf!g' \
-e 's!@HSFLIBDIR@!/usr/lib/hsf!g' \
-e 's!@HSFINFDIR@!/etc/hsf/inf!g' \
-e 's!@HSFSERIALMINOR@!64!g' \
-e 's!@HSFBININF_FILE@!/etc/hsf/nvram.bin!g' \
-e 's!@HSFFIRMWR_FILE@!/etc/hsf/firmware.bin!g' \
-e 's!@HSFLINUXVERSION@!4.06.06.02!g' \
< hsfconfig.in > hsfconfig
chmod 755 hsfconfig
install -m 755 hsfconfig hsfstop /usr/sbin
install -m 755 hsfsysid /usr/bin
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/Desktop/Applications,patches/Dialupmodemdriver/hsflinmodem-4.06.06.02/scripts'
cc1: error: /usr/src/linux/include/linux/config.h: No such file or directory
cc1: error: /usr/src/linux/include/linux/version.h: No such file or directory
cc1: error: /usr/src/linux/include/linux/version.h: No such file or directory
make[1]: Entering directory `/root/Desktop/Applications,patches/Dialupmodemdriver/hsflinmodem-4.06.06.02/modules'
rm -rf "/usr/lib/hsf/config.mak" "/usr/lib/hsf/imported" "/usr/lib/hsf/modules"
mkdir -m 755 -p /usr/lib/hsf/modules
(cd .. && find config.mak imported -depth -print | cpio -pdm /usr/lib/hsf)
3664 blocks
find . \( -name '*.[ch]' -o -name '*.mak' -o -name '[Mm]akefile' \) -print | cpio -pdm /usr/lib/hsf/modules
558 blocks
find binaries -depth -print | cpio -pdm /usr/lib/hsf/modules
0 blocks
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/Desktop/Applications,patches/Dialupmodemdriver/hsflinmodem-4.06.06.02/modules'
install -m 444 LICENSE /usr/lib/hsf

(3) After the installation, we require to type ¨hsfconfig¨ command to configure the modem. But, I get the error message which I post below.

[root@localhost hsflinmodem-4.06.06.02]# hsfconfig
Linux HSF softmodem drivers, version 4.06.06.02
grep: /proc/ksyms: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/hsfsysid: line 99: [: too many arguments
HSF drivers currently don't support SMP (Symmetric Multi-Processing) kernels.

First, ensure that the proper kernel source and compiler packages
from your distribution vendor and/or the community are installed.

The Linux kernel can then be reconfigured by running "make menuconfig"
under the kernel source directory (usually /usr/src/linux).

Verify that the proper options for your system are selected,
and that CONFIG_SMP ("Symmetric multi-processing support" under
"Processor type and features") is disabled, as this driver is
presently designed to work on single-processor machines.

Then compile and install your new kernel (for more information aboutthis procedure, see the README file under the kernel source directory),
reboot the system using the new kernel, and re-run "hsfconfig".
[root@localhost hsflinmodem-4.06.06.02]#

Please tell me if I´m going wrong somewhere, else if there is anything wrong with the package or the OS.

Last edited:
OP
phreak0ut

phreak0ut

Could anyone PLEASE tell me what is wrong and what needs to be done??? I've started this topic nearly 3 months back and not a single reply :( :(

mediator

Technomancer
I dunno if there's a difference in dialup connection between 32 and 64 bit distros, but I used to run dialup on fedora 3.

System>network>"new" connection>modem(dialup) : fill the entries and in extra initialization string type "atx 1". Now try!

eddie

El mooooo
phreak0utt said:
HSF drivers currently don't support SMP (Symmetric Multi-Processing) kernels.
The error is right there. Kernels with SMP support are not supported and Fedora kernel is SMP enabled. These drivers are provided by linuxant.com but your speed is limited to 14.4kbps. You have a few options now:

1) Recompile your kernel, disable SMP support and install drivers from linuxant.com
2) Buy an external modem and throw away that no-good internal modem.

OP
phreak0ut

phreak0ut

eddie said:
The error is right there. Kernels with SMP support are not supported and Fedora kernel is SMP enabled. These drivers are provided by linuxant.com but your speed is limited to 14.4kbps. You have a few options now:

1) Recompile your kernel, disable SMP support and install drivers from linuxant.com

I'm a linux noob and it will take sometime before I can get proficient with it. How can I disable SMP for this?

2) Buy an external modem and throw away that no-good internal modem.

Wish I could, but I cant.

eddie

El mooooo
phreak0utt said:
I'm a linux noob and it will take sometime before I can get proficient with it. How can I disable SMP for this?
Without recompiling the kernel, I really doubt that you can disable SMP.

If you can't do either of the things that I suggested, at least go to linuxant.com and try the latest drivers from there. Who knows, they might be supporting SMP kernels now.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
eddie, isn't it possible to install non-smp kernel from repos? It should be available. But, since I haven't used a 64 bit system, I am not aware of the pitfalls.

OP
phreak0ut

phreak0ut

eddie said:
Without recompiling the kernel, I really doubt that you can disable SMP.

If you can't do either of the things that I suggested, at least go to linuxant.com and try the latest drivers from there. Who knows, they might be supporting SMP kernels now.

Well, thanks for suggestion. I've moved to SuSE 10.2 now. I'll surely be checking out the site you mentioned and keep you posted..

OP
phreak0ut

phreak0ut

The driver suggested from Linuxant worked like a charm! Thanks a lot Eddie. Though I'm able to dial into the network, the connetion is very, very slow. Thanks again though! :)

mehulved

As eddie said, the speed is limited to 14.4kbps, so browsing's gotta be dead slow.

Last edited:
OP
phreak0ut

phreak0ut

tech_your_future said:
As eddie said, the speed is limited to 14.4kbps, so browsing's gotta be dead slow.

Hmmmm...... well in that case, I hope I'm able to run atleast AsteriskNOW for an IVR.

mehulved

I doubt if anything will work fine at this speed. Check if you can find some other drivers somewhere else. Maybe you will atleast get 56kbps or whatever is supported speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom