Developers 'privatising' the Kerala coast

Status
Not open for further replies.

praka123

left this forum longback
Mark Rowe
Last Updated: 5:05PM BST 18/07/2008
Hotel developers in southern India have been accused of seizing coastal land that was hit by the tsunami of 2004.

*www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/00691/kerala_coast-404_691552c.jpg
Getty
A new report says developers are exploiting fishermen's lack of business experience

Entire communities have sold up and relocated inland, giving up their access to the sea, upon which they depend for fishing, according to the organisation Tourism Concern. Developers are said to have effectively privatised communal beach-front land by bringing in private roads, fences and security guards, thus blocking access to the sea.

Tourism Concern, which campaigns against exploitation in the tourist industry, highlights the village of Mararikulam in Kerala, which it says has borne the brunt of such developments.

"Their land has been bought up gradually over the past 10 years, but since the tsunami there has been a real drive by estate agents," said Rachel Noble, campaigns officer for Tourism Concern. "Once they have accumulated large tracts of land, they sell it on to developers for the tourism industry."

Article continues

Pat

Beyond Smart
My initial reaction after reading the title: What the hell do Software developers have to do with Kerala coast ? :p

NucleusKore

TheSaint
I guess it's called

[size=+5]"social responsibility"[/size]

something lacking in this country.

What you see most of the time is the

[size=+5]"It's not my problem attitude"[/size]

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^social responsibility is lacking everywhere, problem pertains not to India only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom