Desktop Search Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajkumar_personal

Ignorance is BLISS !!
I currently use the Google Desktop Search..........

But it doesn't index every file that I have on my machine !!!

What I mean is that it can't tell me whether a certain file exists on my comp or not !!

Suppose I search for "xyz.abc" then it shows all the docs that contain that term but it doesn't tell me whether I have that file on my machine or not !!

I have to revert to that tedious Windows Search :x

Please suggest some other replacement Desktop Search tool which is as good as google but has this feature as well !!!

K

keves2002

Try Advancedtoolbar, not sure about this particular appli, but it does more than a Toolbar

From the Site:-The Advanced Toolbar is an award winning Internet Explorer toolbar that enables you to search over 100 search engines and has piles of very useful features. The Advanced Toolbar has more features than the Google, Yahoo, and MSN toolbars combined. No other toolbar has as many features as the Advanced Toolbar.

Link : *www.advancedtoolbar.com/

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
advanced toolbar doesn't index files on the system. Don't know keeves why you recommend it.

I myself use copernic desktop search for indexing .h and .c/cpp files. Works just fine. give it a try rajkumar.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Yeah, Copernic Desktop Search is very good. You can try it. It indexes all the files
when your Computer is idle and searches files at a rapid pace.

shovik

Banned
you can use the Copernicus Desktop search from the following link:

*www.copernic.com/en/products/desktop-search/index.html

or else you can use PICO from *www.blinkx.com/

Happy searching...............

Regards,
Shovik.

casanova

The Frozen Nova
Use copernic deskop search or yahoo! desktop search. Yahoo! desk search is far better than google.

nitish_mythology

OSS Enthusiast!
I hv a prb with these search tools...
Lets suppose tht I created a file, later on I renamed or deleted it!
The soft(Google Desktop) still indexes it.

HOw to unindex the file?

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
nitish_mythology said:
I hv a prb with these search tools...
Lets suppose tht I created a file, later on I renamed or deleted it!
The soft(Google Desktop) still indexes it.
GDS, or any desktop search for that matter, can monitor file activities like addition, deletion and modification via system APIs. For example, using vb/vc++, you can call the FindFirstChangeNotification (and from then on FindNextChangeNotification) to get notified of changes done to a folder path.

nitish_mythology

OSS Enthusiast!
Lets supose tht I made a file xyz.txt
Deleted it then, searched fr it.
GDS shows it, cicked ovr it, It reports tht file not found!

No the next time when I search fr xyz.txt, it shd show no results(Learning fr Experience) but still it shows the results!

Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom