Dell 1520 - With or without complete cover

Status
Not open for further replies.

cybertragic

Broken In
Am buying the Dell Inspiron 1520. The base config which is given on the website is for Rs. 40,650. Its pretty great but has only one year limited warranty. I called up atleast 6 different sales reps and none of them has been willing to give a single rupee of discount because they say the config is already in negative margin.

Finally after much negotiation one of the reps agreed to include 3 years complete cover for Rs. 4,350 extra. So now I can get either

1. Dell Inspiron 1520 with base config - 1 year limited warranty - Rs. 40,650/-
2. Dell Inspiron 1520 with base config - 3 year complete cover - Rs. 45,000/- (price without discount comes to about Rs. 50000)

Which of these should I go for. In other words, is 3 year complete cover with accidental damage worth Rs. 4,350/- extra?

While chatting with the Dell guy, I asked him whats to prevent a person from taking advantage of the complete cover and break his notebook after 2 and a half years and get a new one. He actually recommended I should do that for my own benefit and I will probably get an even better config which is popular at that time. But to just remember to break it before the warranty expires. I was stunned (and impressed) that he was so frank about this on the company phone and did not take a diplomatic route about it.

Guess they figure less than 5-10% people will actually remember to do something like this or will take the risk with their well configured notebook.

Any suggestions? And does anyone think its possible to get an even better deal (or knows a sales rep)?

Edit: I surfed around on the web about the accidental damage thing and it seems I would be in a morally ambiguous area and committing insurance fraud if I intentionally damage it (kinda obvious now that I read it). But again in a prestigious website such as the consumerist, there's an article called "22 Confessions Of A Former Dell Sales Manager" which recommends doing just that.

Link 1 - Highly against intentional damage comparing it to theft - *forums.techguy.org/hardware/376231-dell-no-fault-warranty.html

Link 2 - Recommends intentional damage (Read point no. 3) *consumerist.com/consumer/insiders/22-confessions-of-a-former-dell-sales-manager-268831.php

Last edited:

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
Go with 3 year complete cover .
It is always wise to have maximum warranty on laptops.The extra money is completely worth.

OP
C

cybertragic

Broken In
Has anyone ever had any experience of claiming the Accidental Damage warranty from Dell. As in having got your notebook exchanged after breaking/dropping it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom