Deleting files under Win98 SE

Status
Not open for further replies.

sms_solver

In the zone
Whenever I try to delete folders containing many files (say 200+), the folder stops responding for about 20-40 seconds, and only then it refreshes, at that moment you can not do anything with that folder's content.

Is this problem with every Windows 98, or it is just happening to my PC. I have not experience such prombles in WinXP, where folders containing thousands of files could be deleted in no time.

If this is problem with Win98se, plz that me know what is causing this.

I have P3, 198 MB RAM...
Thanks.

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
It's a problem in Win 98 SE (happened to me many times) and possibly in earlier versions of Windows.

tuxfan

Technomancer
I have also expereinced similar problems in Win98SE. Don't panic. Its normal with Win98

aadipa

Padawan
it is not problem with Win 98SE or any other windows

only that ur disk is too much fragmented and deleting all the links and clearing space does take time.

so do defrag for faster deleteing of files

:lol:

OP
sms_solver

sms_solver

In the zone
aadipa said:
it is not problem with Win 98SE or any other windows

only that ur disk is too much fragmented and deleting all the links and clearing space does take time.

:lol:

I have experimented with few PC, the problem is same with Every Win98SE. There is more to than fragmented hard disk.

You just experiment yourself deleting folders having 500+ files, you can use non-fragmented partition. If there is no problem then let us know
:shock:

aadipa

Padawan
It is not a problem with Win 98 SE
It is a problem with FAT32 file system
Same problem exists even on the Win XP installed on FAT32.

aadipa

Padawan
TRead more info about FAT and NTFS on
*forums.tech-arena.com/showthread.php?p=34124&highlight=NTFS#post34124

This is very good explaination of file systems by Sandeep. A page to bookmark.

aadipa

Padawan
Here is a matter to read from that post

SaN-DeeP on Tech-Arena said:
In comparing performance on large folders having both long and short filenames, the speed of a FAT operation depends on the operation itself and the size of the folder. Creating files on a FAT folder might be faster. Opening a file might be faster on a FAT folder if the file is at the front of the folder. If the file does not exist, FAT has to search the entire folder to find this out. The search takes longer on FAT than on the B-tree structure used by the NTFS file system. Folder enumeration might be faster on a FAT folder. In mathematical terms, the average time to find a file on a FAT folder is a function of N/2, where N is the number of files. On an NTFS folder, the average time is a function of Log N. For small values of N, N/2 might actually be less than or equal to LogN. For larger values of N, LogN is less than N/2.

tuxfan

Technomancer

I have faced this problem on a newly formatted hard disk :roll: Secondly, I defrag my HD once every 15-20 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom