Delete account in XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
Hi

I have created an account named "Aditya Shevade" on my old slow pc. Now everytime, the logon screen appears and I have to click on the mane to start windows. (XP PRO).

My point is, if there is only one account apart from the default "Administrator" account of XP, then why doesn't it directly boot into the "Aditya Shevade" account?

What must be done, for the PC to automatically boot in that account.

If I want to delete the "Aditya Shevade" account, how may I be able to do that? Remember, I have only 2 accounts on the PC, "Administrator" and "Aditya Shevade" with admin status.

Is there any solution?

anandk

Distinguished Member
(1) download the autologon fixes from *www.dougknox.com/xp/xp_fixes.html or *www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

(2) OR i think u will have to modify this registry entry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

To enable this function you need to add several new values to the key below.

Add a new string value named 'DefaultUserName' and set it to the username you wish to automatically logon as.
Add a new string value named 'DefaultPassword' and set this to the password for the user entered above.
Add a new string value named 'DefaultDomainName' and set this to the domain of the user. Ignore this value if the NT box is not participating in NT Domain security.
Add a new string value named 'AutoAdminLogon' and set it to either '1' to enable auto logon or '0' to disable it.
For Windows 2000 the additional ForceAutoLogon setting must be enabled to stop the tweak from resetting on reboot.
Exit and restart, Windows should not ask for a password and automatically show the desktop of the user.

SOURCE : do download this xclnt 'windows registry guide' from www.winguides.com It lists a LOT of registry hacks/tricks

additionaly from *www.wintips-inc.com/ download 'windows tricks tips and secrets v 4.0. u will find in them educative and useful for REGISTRY HACKS/TRICKS.

both are small downloads.

(3) >>> BUT i prefer to use utility 'tweakui' (logon>autologon option) or tune-up utilities to achieve the same effect :) <<<

kl_ravi

Journeyman
Simple ...

1) Click Start > Settings > Control Panel > User Accounts.
2) Under "pick a task ..." click "change the way users log on/off"
3) In the log on log off options just uncheck ... "Use the welcome screen"

OP
aditya.shevade

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
Thank you very much, but how to delete the account? I don't want any account but the asp.net, guest and all the default accounts. I want to delete the "Aditya Shevade" account. How to do that. There is no option in user accounts to delete the account.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Though all the methods provided above definitely work, I'll also want to add another method:

Start -> Run and type:

control userpasswords2

And uncheck the option Users must enter username & password to use this computer.
Thank you very much, but how to delete the account? I don't want any account but the asp.net, guest and all the default accounts. I want to delete the "Aditya Shevade" account. How to do that. There is no option in user accounts to delete the account.
Right-click on My Computer and select [Manage, now in:

System Tools -> Local Users & Groups -> Users

Select the User account, which u want to delete and Press <Delete> key.

Last edited:

GeeNeeYes

powerd ↻ pramod
maybe you cant delete the current user account in which you are logged in
so log on into any other user account with administrative priviliges
and then delete any other user account

you can press Ctrl-Alt-Del at the logon screen
to get the classic logon screen.. login as administrator and do the needful

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom