Deep Learning/ Gaming Rig needed. Approx Rs. 1.3 Lakhs. Update: Total cost at 1.75Lakhs

Croma_300

Broken In
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: The computer will be used for running deep learning models- Deep Neural Networks based on Tensorflow, Keras, PyTorch, Caffe and gaming AAA titles at 1080p at above 100-120 fps. Mostly the pc will run continuously for even days for deep learning training purposes under high gpu and cpu load( Max 2-3 days at one go).

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: The max I can spend is Rs 1.3 Lakhs but the lesser the better.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Might overclock both the cpu and gpu but not decided on it as I think I will need a good cooler for that.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 10 and Ubuntu 16.04 Dual boot

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: I need a 1 TB SSD and an additional 2 TB of HDD.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: Yes I want to buy a 22 or 24 inch monitor. I want only 1080p resolution.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: I don't have anything that can be reused.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: By december mid or end I will finish. I plan to buy parts one by one as soon as I get my funds collected.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: No, I haven't built a desktop before but I will build it myself.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: I live in Bangalore so I was hoping SP Road will have cheap prices(If anyone has experience buying from there please let me know :) ).
I plan to buy EVGA 1080Ti SC Black Edition from newegg as EVGA has global warranty.

I contacted AMD India and they have said AMD also provides global warranty for their CPUs so maybe I could buy Ryzen 2700x from newegg(I don't know if Intel provides global warranty for their 8700k)

I intend to buy a Samsung 1TB SSD from Newegg. Since I haven't heard of SSDs failing and requiring warranty service and since that Samsung doesn't provide global warranty I am not completely sure where to buy it from. Newegg has this going for only Rs 12k.

Ram also the same thoughts. Whether to buy it locally or from Newegg.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: I know 1080Ti is an overkill for 1080p but then I will be running all the AAA games in ultra. Also for deep learning purposes I would require more than 8GB of VRAM. I would also need a keyboard, mouse and speakers. Also if anyone could tell Ryzen is suitable for deep learning and how the power draw is going to be, it will be greatly helpful. I don't want to put a hole in my pocket paying the electricity bill.
Also which will be better - a 2700x or 8700k for deep learning? The 8700k is expensive plus I will have to buy an additional cooler also for that.

Minion

Conversation Architect
AMD RYZEN 7 2700x-29,000
Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING-14,000
Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 8GB DDR4 3200MHz Memory HX432C16PB3A/8-6,200
Corsair Force LE 960GB-15,000
Seagate 2TB BARRACUDA (ST2000DM006)-5,100
Zotac GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5X Mini-44,000
Antec EDG750-8,100
Cooler Master MASTERBOX TD500L-4,400(Add Some fans for front Cooler Master MasterFan MF120L RGBx3)
Acer KG241Q-10,000

Total:-1.36L

Last edited:

monkey

Padawan
AMD RYZEN 7 2700x-29,000
Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING-14,000
Adata 8GB DDR4 RGB AX4U300038G16-SRS-7,000
Corsair Force LE 960GB-15,000
Zotac GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5X Mini-44,000
Antec EDG750-8,100
Cooler Master MASTERBOX TD500L-4,400(Add Some fans for front Cooler Master MasterFan MF120L RGBx3)
Acer KG241Q-10,000

Total:-1.31L

Currently this RAM is on sale
KINGSTON HYPERX PREDATOR RGB 8GB DDR4 3200MHZ MEMORY HX432C16PB3A/8

Buy Online | Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 8GB DDR4 3200MHz Memory HX432C16PB3A/8 | Price in India

You missed 2TB HDD required by OP.

OP
C

Croma_300

Broken In
Hi guys especially Minion, thanks for the help. I greatly appreciate it. I already bought the RAM(2x8GB) from Primeabgb under the link you posted. I wanted to know is there a way I could cut down on the Mobo you specified. Do I have to spend 14k for it? Can you tell me why you suggested it? Any particular reason?

Minion

Conversation Architect
Hi guys especially Minion, thanks for the help. I greatly appreciate it. I already bought the RAM(2x8GB) from Primeabgb under the link you posted. I wanted to know is there a way I could cut down on the Mobo you specified. Do I have to spend 14k for it? Can you tell me why you suggested it? Any particular reason?

1)Motherboard most important component of computer better board comes with better VRM for more info read this Voltage regulator module - Wikipedia mobo with better VRMs generate less heat and ensures longevity of other components

2)Quality of components will be higher too

3)feature Rich

Read this
Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming Review | bit-tech.net

My suggestion is don't compromise on mobo if budget is issue you can cut down on SSD(512GB) and HDD

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB is available for 9,500

Last edited:
OP
C

Croma_300

Broken In
1)Motherboard most important component of computer better board comes with better VRM for more info read this Voltage regulator module - Wikipedia mobo with better VRMs generate less heat and ensures longevity of other components

2)Quality of components will be higher too

3)feature Rich

Read this
Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming Review | bit-tech.net

My suggestion is don't compromise on mobo if budget is issue you can cut down on SSD(512GB) and HDD

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB is available for 9,500
Can you provice the link for the SSD? I was planning to get the 1TB version from onlyssd.com or do you think it is a better idea to get it from Newegg.com since I heard SSDs have a low failure rate?

Minion

Conversation Architect
Can you provice the link for the SSD? I was planning to get the 1TB version from onlyssd.com or do you think it is a better idea to get it from Newegg.com since I heard SSDs have a low failure rate?
SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500GB Internal SSD (MZ-76E500BW)

OP
C

Croma_300

Broken In
don't buy gigabyte mobos especially if you care about overclocking & mobo VRM temps.
Thank you for your input Mr. whitestar_999. Which one would you suggest then so that it fits my budget? Also I am getting a used gigabyteAorus 1080Ti from my friend. Is this GPU good?

OP
C

Croma_300

Broken In
Also can anyone suggest a 1080p 144hz monitor which is good for gaming and for looking at it for a long time (for programming purpose)? I was thinking of getting one from the amazon sale till 28th and the one that meets my budget. The lower the price, the better.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Buy Online | MSI X470 GAMING PLUS Motherboard | Price in India
Or if you want the best with a little more then:
MOTHERBOARD MSI X470 GAMING PRO

OP
C

Croma_300

Broken In
Buy Online | MSI X470 GAMING PLUS Motherboard | Price in India
Or if you want the best with a little more then:
MOTHERBOARD MSI X470 GAMING PRO
I will go with the Gaming PLUS one. Thanks :)
Also which would be better - Aorus 1080Ti or Asus Strix 1080Ti? I am getting both for cheaper price(used)

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
When it comes to gfx card quality the usually accepted order is:
Asus>Zotac>MSI>gigabyte

Also make sure that used gfx card was not used for mining(check for physical damage/wear tear too).

OP
C

Croma_300

Broken In
Also can anyone suggest a 1080p 144hz monitor which is good for gaming and for looking at it for a long time (for programming purpose)? I was thinking of getting one from the amazon sale till 28th and the one that meets my budget. The lower the price, the better.
Anything on this please?

OP
C

Croma_300

Broken In
ACER GN246HL - 24 Inch 3D Gaming Monitor (1ms Response Time, 144Hz Refresh Rate, FHD TN Panel, DVI, HDMI, VGA)
I will get back to you on this as there is someone who is willing to sell a samsung curve monitor 144hz 1080p for 18k. As soon as I get more details, I will update you guys.

OP
C

Croma_300

Broken In
Also is a mechanical keyboard necessary. I will be gaming as well as programming(majority of the time) and I require an RGB backlit keyboard. Is this one a good choice COOLER MASTER MASTERKEYS LITE L Mem-Chanical Gaming Keyboard & Mouse Combo With Rgb Backlight ? I don't want to spend so much on keyboard and mouse that's why I am skeptical about this.

Top Bottom