Debian tipped for February release

Status
Not open for further replies.

praka123

left this forum longback
The long-awaited next version of the Debian open-source operating system is most likely to be released in February, according to members of the Debian community.
In a Debian Administration web poll, nearly half of those predicting a release date for the Linux distribution said it would happen during February. Twenty-eight percent of its community said the next release, which is the fourth version and code-named Etch, would occur in March, while 15 percent said it would be April or later. The remaining 14 percent believe release will take place in January, although some may have changed their minds since the poll was launched on 5 January.
source:
*news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39285649,00.htm
while Debian GNU/Linux stable is preferred for servers and is a strong stablest server os,with Debian Etch release,I feel it will get to Desktop Users also with its helluva lot of packages available and their DFSG is a reason for a Free Software User to use it. :eek:

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
praka123 said:
source:
*news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39285649,00.htm
while Debian GNU/Linux stable is preferred for servers and is a strong stablest server os,with Debian Etch release,I feel it will get to Desktop Users also with its helluva lot of packages available and their DFSG is a reason for a Free Software User to use it. :eek:

I'm having Debian etch testing Jan1 Weekly build installed on my machine. I don't think debian will considered an only-for-server-distro. It has got everything that a Desktop distro need, + a strong community base.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
^^ ....but if u had really used earlier debian versions like 2.2 potato it is really difficult to get it installed,though famous for its rock stability.from debian Sarge onwards afaik it got a good installer though CLI based.
AND NOW! you've got even a gui installer for debian etch/sid:p

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
The gui installer has some bugs like synaptics touchpad not working, hopefully will get solved in final release.

freebird

Debian Rocks!
Debian Etch release again slip

Steve Langasek has mentioned to ZDNet that he cannot guarantee that Debian will be released in February. They then conclude it may slip to March.
Read here
Now Steve Langasek, one of the two developers working on releasing Etch, has revealed a more accurate timescale. He told ZDNet UK on Monday: "I have to side with the 44 percent of poll respondents who say it will be released when it's ready. It's plausible that we will still be able to release Etch in February, but given outstanding issues, it's by no means guaranteed."
source:*debian-news.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=2090

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
Considering the time it has taken from potato to woody and woody to sarge, etch release is pretty fast.

rajasekharan

Youngling
yeah . . usually debian release take long time , but it the best security suit out there :). i dont mind it taking long . just stick with rock solid security deb :) :) :).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom