DDR400 RAM doubts..

Status
Not open for further replies.

imjimmy

Broken In
Looking to purchase RAM.

I am looking for 2*512 DDR 400 RAM chips to operate in Dual mode for an Intel 915 mobo and P4 3.2 GHZ. Budget Max 6-7k.

Have been told that Kingston's 512 DDR 400 is at 3k..

I think it would be the value RAM.. Can someone tell me which kingston ram model wud work in Dual model.

Model number/detail Would be appreciated..

Went thru kingston's website but there are a myriad of options there.. Also how will the RAM be connected in dual mode when installing in the machine.

Thanks,

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
if corsair is supported take it if you don't wanna oc
corsair value select cas 2.5-3-3-8 for 5824 with tax in delhi

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
imjimmy said:
Looking to purchase RAM.

I am looking for 2*512 DDR 400 RAM chips to operate in Dual mode for an Intel 915 mobo and P4 3.2 GHZ. Budget Max 6-7k.

Have been told that Kingston's 512 DDR 400 is at 3k..

I think it would be the value RAM.. Can someone tell me which kingston ram model wud work in Dual model.

Model number/detail Would be appreciated..

Went thru kingston's website but there are a myriad of options there.. Also how will the RAM be connected in dual mode when installing in the machine.

Thanks,

Hey.
There is no special ram model or anything for dual channel. Any ram that the mobo supports when put in the correct channel (channels => mem banks) will give the appropriate channel. Most mobos color code the channels (blue and black). Just put one mem stick each into slots of the same color (A few mobos have different coloring schemes, so read the manual apriori).
Just buy the ram with the lowest latency for your price and all wil be fine :)

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
Just confirm from the person you buy and with the box etc,manufacutrer or mobo and ram etc that your cpu,mb,ram all run in dual ch

OP
I

imjimmy

Broken In
Thanks for all your replies.

I'll be purchasing Kingston 2*512..

I think it is value RAM starting with KVR- it will be DDR400

I will ask the seller for compatibility with the Intel D915GAV mobo.

BTW..will this RAM also work with a AMD s939 MSI RS480M2-IL mobo with a AMD 64 3200+ Winchester proccy?

Thanks,

mohit

The Hardware Labs
imjimmy said:
Thanks for all your replies.

I'll be purchasing Kingston 2*512..

I think it is value RAM starting with KVR- it will be DDR400

I will ask the seller for compatibility with the Intel D915GAV mobo.

BTW..will this RAM also work with a AMD s939 MSI RS480M2-IL mobo with a AMD 64 3200+ Winchester proccy?

Thanks,

ya it will surely work. no probs there.

rohanbee

Padawan
I have the same ram PC-3200 400mhz on my 915-gav, it will work.
Theoretically they say that dual channel is different from standard ram. But actually i think its just another way for these companies to make money. They all seem to work the same way. They just put a different tag to make some more bucks!!!

OP
I

imjimmy

Broken In
Hynix 512 MB 400MHz RAM -2000 bucks! Y not this?

Good buy! I have 2 of these. No worries.

I was also told that the best performing RAM are Corsair, Transcend and Kingston - in that order.

Don't know how good Hynix is..

[/quote]

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
rohanbee said:
I have the same ram PC-3200 400mhz on my 915-gav, it will work.
Theoretically they say that dual channel is different from standard ram. But actually i think its just another way for these companies to make money. They all seem to work the same way. They just put a different tag to make some more bucks!!!

The difference is when you put the RAM in Dual Channel. There are no such thing as "dual channel memory sticks." IT's just the configuration that makes the difference between RAM in dual channel and in standard modes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom