DDR 256MB>DDR 333Mhz+DDR 400Mhz means motherboard gone!!!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

praka123

left this forum longback
this is a story three weeks before:
I got a gigabyte 915GV board and used a zion make new DDR 256MB 400Mhz RAM.now i got a replacement RAM pc2700 or 333MHz Kingsmax ram of 256MB.
i installed both and checked bios for ram speed and it showed 333Mhz and am satisfied.but after next boot the system display gone.and a service guy came and he said this damage is due to use of RAM of different frequencies?
my mobo got serviced and now working fine with 7300GT card and a 400w zeb psu and zion 400MB RAM.
currently i am tempted to put the 333 mhz ram in the slot and use together as 512MB @333Mhz :( but the service guy warned that although it is technically correct.the mobo will be damaged if u use different freq RAM's :cry: now what can i do?shud i be satisfied with the stock 256MB 400mhz ram?or will i try putting the 333 mhz kingsmax :?
Hope u guys can help me.:eek:

sashijoseph

In the zone
Never heard of a motherbaord busting due to diff. speed ram sticks.I've got a couple of friends who added new ddr400 sticks to their existing 266\333 ones.
No problems.
Yeah I recall facing some stability issues(os would crash frequently,software would produce errors etc) due to the speed mix,but that was only a one-off case and the board wasn't harmed in any way.
So according to me it's safe.

Harvik780

ToTheBeatOfUrHeart
Areee main hi abhi ji computer par baith ke ye likh raha huin usme hi Ram different frequencies ke lage hue hain.
That means it shouldn't cause any problems
256MB-266Mhz
256MB-333Mhz
512MB-333Mhz
All rams are of different architecture.

ashnik

Ambassador of Buzz
there might be a compatibility issue between Zion and kingmax
BTW u can try and if the sys doesn't boot then just reset the bios.

Hackattack

Multicore Mutant
I think you already know that your DDR1 400 will automatically step down to
Low frequencies of either 133 or 166, so check with cpuz. Here's is mine running at 266mhz

*img120.imageshack.us/img120/289/79151248py9.jpg *img120.imageshack.us/img120/8147/51183382sv1.jpg

Also check the power connector to your mobo, i faced similar problem, later found that it was a loose cable.

abhi_10_20

Cool and Calm
me too having same fear:sad:...
i am running a 667MHz one with a 400MHz one.... nothing's happened till now.
but still, worried:sad:

Is the motherboard one of the first one's of the 915series? then as you might be aware, there have been a few bugs reported with the initial 915series. Also it might be a compatibility issue with the RAM's. Try one RAM at a time and see if they work stable. If possible, try upgrading the BIOS.

elator

Broken In
hey.....
even i have a 915gav mobo.....and my mobo supports both 333 and 400....
i already have a 333....will there b a prob if i fit a 400

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
On some Intel systems it may happen, but never on AMD based systems.
But less chance even for Intel systems if the chipset is from ATI or nvidia.

dabster

In the zone
Harvik780 said:
Areee main hi abhi ji computer par baith ke ye likh raha huin usme hi Ram different frequencies ke lage hue hain.
That means it shouldn't cause any problems
256MB-266Mhz
256MB-333Mhz
512MB-333Mhz
All rams are of different architecture.

Yeah, It works mostly, can be a problem sometimes. I hd problem with my new DDR3200 256MB(elpida) stick as it was interfering with other stick with same rating DDR3200 256MB(Hynix). Both used 1 at a time worked but not together, I replaced it with samsung brand and it works now...
The point is u just can't really sure it will work or not. may be other experienced ppl can add more to this....

aravind_n20 said:
On some Intel systems it may happen, but never on AMD based systems.
But less chance even for Intel systems if the chipset is from ATI or nvidia.
I don't see any reasons for such a conclusion.

Last edited:

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
One of ma friend too lost 2 module due da same reason and he was having Intel systems. So i gave him one module of mine to check if its ram problem and it also got spoilt.
I have been using DDR333 along with DDR400 in my older Sempron systems for yesrs and recently i added another DDR 266 also, still works like a charm.

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
so,i assume i must control my urge to use this 333Mhz RAM :cry: as many service guys are saying the same.some says it will affect processor blah blah..

Help~Is~Here said:
Is the motherboard one of the first one's of the 915series? then as you might be aware, there have been a few bugs reported with the initial 915series. Also it might be a compatibility issue with the RAM's. Try one RAM at a time and see if they work stable. If possible, try upgrading the BIOS.
Yes it is of 915GV series gigabyte made.from my past experiance i may not install the other RAM.just yesterday my gigabyte mobo got from service centre.yes,sure seems some compatibility issues too.one is a new zion 400 Mhz RAM which i use.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom