Dble Clicking a drive icon in My Computer opens choose prgrm dialog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Case History
I am using XP as OS. Some kind of virus (trojan or iworm) had entered two partitions of my Maxtor portable 80 GB hard drive (there are four partitions) when i connected it to my friends comp. I removed it using avg 8 free edition successfully.

Problem
Now after removal of the malicious content whenever i double click the icon of the two drives it displays a dialog box asking me to choose a program to open the file j:/ . Where as typing the address i.e "j:" in the address bar successfully opens the drive. The menu items Open and Explore even open the same dialog.

Remedy tried
I read the sticky FAQ section by Mr Vishal Gupta, found a similar problem listed there (Problem Number 2). HERE IS THE SECTION OF HIS POST.

2. Whenever I double-click on any drive/folder in My Computer, a Search window opens.

Sol: Open regedit and goto following keys one by one:

Code:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell
In right-side pane, delete the "Default" key. If it doesnt work then delete the key "find" under both.

Following this first deleted the "default" key which didnt solve the problem and then the "find" key which even could not rectify the defect.

2 yrs earlier even i had experienced the same problem which got solved when XP was reinstalled. But i dont want to go the tough way so please help me out.

Last edited:
OP
A

anuvrat_parashar

paralinux
Try solution of Point 3:

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61413

Vishal Sir point 3 states to delete "autorun.inf" but its not there in any of the drives. (not even hidden).

It was there the last time I had faced the trouble. and I was not able to delete it. Presently its not so. Thats why I ignored your Point 3.

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
below the option "show hidden files", there is an option "hide protected operating system files". try disabling that too before you look for the autorun.inf files.

OP
A

anuvrat_parashar

paralinux
below the option "show hidden files", there is an option "hide protected operating system files". try disabling that too before you look for the autorun.inf files.

Yes your tip worked it did show autorun.inf in one of the drives:D. Look I had told earlier that two drives were affected. One of them had it and I did delete it without any trouble.

But still the same dialog opens upon double clicking.
I am gonna try restarting my pc now.

Please come with some remedy.
If I have faced this problem twice somebody else must also have faced it.

rohitkorde

Broken In
The Virus enables the autorun feature of ur hard drive by editing the registry. upon cleaning the Virus(which i believe u have!) the file(virus!) could not be found. hence u get the choose program window.
There are ways to solve this problem, the best way is to use tweaking software like TweakUI....this software allows you to disable autorun features on drives...use this tool to disable autorun on ur hard drive.
the other way ofcourse is editing the registry by yourself.

OP
A

anuvrat_parashar

paralinux
The Virus enables the autorun feature of ur hard drive by editing the registry. upon cleaning the Virus(which i believe u have!) the file(virus!) could not be found. hence u get the choose program window.
There are ways to solve this problem, the best way is to use tweaking software like TweakUI....this software allows you to disable autorun features on drives...use this tool to disable autorun on ur hard drive.

Rohit sir jee so easily u asked me to edit the registry, mainnu to registry ka abc bhi nahi aata. if i did some think stupid it will result in the same situation reinstall XP:( Phir bhi theek hai i will try out the way u have shown and hope that it gets me outta fuss.

Lemme tell u sir jee the virus was called courseworks.exe and one more (it used a folder as icon )and was there in the drive hence i used avg to remove it. these files were deleted perhaps just to invoke another problem.

thanks for your advice

I tried TweekUI 2.0
No improvements no effect.
disabled autorun on those drives

Last edited:

adi007

Youngling
Dr Adithya here :D
First tell me all ur drive letters..
like C: D: E: ....
I will create a bat file for removal of virus in all of them afterwards

Last edited:

dreams

Gracias Senor
I too had the same problem in my office computer..googled and tried loads of steps and stil it wasn't resolved..tried the solution ref by Ravi and hurray it worked.

thnx a bunch ravi.

babuli_05

Broken In
i suffers from the same drive problem,now all ok but when i open a drive n then when click a folder automatic command prompt opens.when i right click n open the folder it opens.so what to do now.

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
i suffers from the same drive problem,now all ok but when i open a drive n then when click a folder automatic command prompt opens.when i right click n open the folder it opens.so what to do now.
start -->> run -->> type regsvr32 /i shell32.dll -->> Ok
Restart system, should solve the problem.

Or try this:
*www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_folder_open.htm

skippednote

M3TAL H3AD M3
This forum is meant to help people and you dont need to beg for it, so stop using sir again and again . Use ravi's tip i also used it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom