Dataone Wireless....

Status
Not open for further replies.

ECE0105

In the zone
Hi people.

I have a dataone connection at home and a Huawei MT8800 ADSL Modem.

Is it possible to use a Wireless router instead of the ADSL?

What would be the cost of a normal Wireless Router/Modem and a Wireless adapter for my PC?

And, is it possible to connect more than one Computer at the sametime to the Wireless?

Awaiting responses....

dissel

Cyborg Agent
Yes tou can buy a wireless router/access point instead of full Wireless ADSL Router.
Coz you have the ADSL modem already have.

If your computer don't have onboard support of Wi-Fi you need to buy a USB wireless adopter

According Digit Jan '07
Wireless Router:-
Best Buy Gold - ASUS WL-530G ---4400/-
Best Buy Silver - Linksys WRT54G----3634/-

Access Points:-
Best Buy Gold - Linksys WAT54G ----3816/-
Best Buy Silver - Senao ECB3220 ----8280/-

The above price is in MRP in Jan 07....You defiantly got lower price in your place.

The router/access point and the Wireless adopter have same Wi-Fi specification (Recommended)

Last edited:
OP
ECE0105

ECE0105

In the zone
Thanks for the reply dude...

The ADSL Modem that I have is provided by BSNL on rental basis. I wanna change that and move on to a full wireless router/modem.

As I understand, if you have a wireless, you can also use it as a wired router. Is that right?

And, can I share the internet connection?

sivarap

In the zone
@ECE0105
You are right you can use it as a wired router also. and as in other routers u can also share the internet. The one i use at home is a DLink one. I guess i cost only less than 3k. If u have any problem configuring it, gimme a buzz i'll help you.

@Dissel
whats teh diff b/w a access point and wireless router? I tht both are synonymous.

dissel

Cyborg Agent
ECE0105 said:
Thanks for the reply dude...

The ADSL Modem that I have is provided by BSNL on rental basis. I wanna change that and move on to a full wireless router/modem.

Digit Reviewd 2 ADSL Wi-Fi Router (All-In-One Device)

ASUS WL-600G --- 8500/-
Netgear DG834G --- 4230/-

Later one is most popular, I seen many forum's talking about it .

ECE0105 said:
And, can I share the internet connection?
Yes.
sivarap said:
whats teh diff b/w a access point and wireless router?
An access point simply maintain the Wireless Network without routing function.

Last edited:
OP
ECE0105

ECE0105

In the zone
Thanks for the replies guys....

BSNL is providing modems for outright purchase : Type-II with 1 Ethernet and 1 Wifi port and Type-IV with 4 Ethernet and 1 Wifi ports....

Any insight into this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom