Dataone on Ubuntu 5.10 !

Status
Not open for further replies.

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
I am trying to configure my Dataone net connection in ubuntu. No success so far. I have gone through desertwind's thread but i really dont want to play around with my modem settings as then i won't be able to use net on windows. Plus i cant edit the resolv.config file without logging in as root you see. And Ubuntu doesn't allow that. Suggest me a way to do it through GUI if possible. I am not sure if this particular question has been asked before.

praka123

left this forum longback
if u want to be root in a terminal u can use following command and set new root passwd.
Code:
sudo root passwd
when prompted give the new passwd for root.enter twice.
now type "su" and enter,then type root passwd to be in a root terminal.In order to login as root.try as root(su) from a terminal
[/code]gdmsetup[/code]
browse the tab "security" and tick "Allow root to login...".now in gdm login prompt u can login as root and u should not browse or do any network related things as root allows all permissions.
For setting dataone,U need to type this command as root or sudo from a terminal:
Code:
pppoeconf
go through it and it will set BB for U.i believe that ur lancard is detected and working;ie if u type "ifconfig"-two networks be present "lo" and "eth0".there already is lot of ubuntu help sites

sknowonweb

Journeyman
Boss .
UBUNTU always uses that 'su' feature ( They say it for safety reasons)> U have to always su to root and edit that file.

I get connected to BSNL DAtaone without messing up my ADSL UTSTAR COM router. Just edited ip's using netconfig.
But sorry,Not in ubuntu but in various other distro's

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Ubuntu does not use su, it rather uses sudo. And for a good reason, too. It is very much secure to use sudo than logging in as root. You can configure using GUI, without having to have root access.

OP
baccilus

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
Hey i figured it out. Just get a Fedora core 5! I got one today. And my audio works too. I got rid of mandriva 2006 too.
Thanks friends. Ubuntu was too problematic for my system (mobo-Intel915 GLVG). I had to disable my sound card to be able to install it. Net didn't work either. Only reason i installed it was that i got it from France.
Right now FC5 seems quite fine. I think i will stick with this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom