DataOne - Any Way of Password Locking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
Is there any software or application out there with which we can stop the always ON type of logging in of dataone broadband connection.

like in SIFY broadband connections you have to type ur ID & password to access the net.
But in BSNL there is nothing like that. all you have to do is just turn ON the Modem & you are connected to net.(it has it advantage, but its not safe, like some one can misuse it), I hav XP SP2 with two accounts, (mine is password protected,).

godsownman

Padawan
I dont think its possible to misuse.

Its connected to your telephone line. Plus the modem is there too and I think they do mac binding also.

So dont worry.

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
godsownman said:

Its connected to your telephone line. Plus the modem is there too and I think they do mac binding also.

So dont worry.

It's very possible to misuse. If anyone knows your userid/password, he can use it with any modem on any bb enabled telephone line.

anubhav_har

In the zone
Hey i use bsnl broadband.. i have to also login using a dialer.. it is not always on...

maybe you are using the router.. in that case you can't do anythin.. only getting a modem is an option

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
anubhav_har said:
Hey i use bsnl broadband.. i have to also login using a dialer.. it is not always on...

maybe you are using the router.. in that case you can't do anythin.. only getting a modem is an option
You can use dialup method or always on method in same modem (or router, both are the same in case of bsnl).

godsownman

Padawan
desertwind said:
godsownman said:

So dont worry.

It's very possible to misuse. If anyone knows your userid/password, he can use it with any modem on any bb enabled telephone line.

Actually I was not sure it was my frnd who had told me this. Anyway is the billing done to the telephone line through which it passes or is it based on the username and password

theraven

Technomancer
its simple
access ur router settings via its http interface
then goto WAN settings and set it to bridged mode

remember to get ur username and id before that
now in network connections create a pppoe connection and user ur username and id

eveyrtime u wanna login click on the connection and click connect
when u wanna disconnect just simply do it like u do a dial up connection

ravimevcha

Journeyman
there is also a simple way of doing it.. just turn off ur Modem when u dont want to connect to Internet.. i have SmartAX MT841 modem for BSNL Dataone and it has a Power on/Off switch..u can just turn off switch when u dont want to connect on Internet.. and just turn it on to get going.. :)

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
godsownman said:
Actually I was not sure it was my frnd who had told me this. Anyway is the billing done to the telephone line through which it passes or is it based on the username and password

The billing is done to the telephone to which the account is registered. Tht means you have bb connection for your telephone, and if I use that user name and password on my telephone, your telephone will be billed.

eddie

El mooooo
desertwind said:
The billing is done to the telephone to which the account is registered. Tht means you have bb connection for your telephone, and if I use that user name and password on my telephone, your telephone will be billed.
Doesn't MTNL and BSNL internet connections use CLI (Calling Line Identification) to authenticate? :? AFAIK you can login only from the telephone line the BB account is registered with, but I could be wrong. I used MTNL's Internet Phone (dial-up) around a year ago and it had this thing in it. Doesn't BB have this facility?

teknoPhobia

t3h g04t
A BB account can be used from any comp connected to the BB network... and the phone for which it is registered will be billed... I know from experience... It's also pretty easy to obtain someone's password and ID... for obvious reasons I cannot talk abt them... people are so dumb that they do not even take the basic precautions that BSNL asks them to.... what can I say?

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
eddie said:
Doesn't MTNL and BSNL internet connections use CLI (Calling Line Identification) to authenticate? :? AFAIK you can login only from the telephone line the BB account is registered with, but I could be wrong. I used MTNL's Internet Phone (dial-up) around a year ago and it had this thing in it. Doesn't BB have this facility?

I does'nt know the case of MTNL. But BSNL don't use CLI authentication. Any bb account can be used with any bb enabled telephone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom