datacable or ir port?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arclight

Broken In
i have a nokia 3200 and i want to connect it to pc for transferring ringtones and games. should i go for a datacable or an ir port for my pc. which has better connectivity and transfer speed?

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
Data cable is better. IR needs a dongle and there should be line of sight. Also i noticed data transfer is faster and had no problem.

bharathbala2003

why need title?
yes i prefer IR too.. but then using a data cable u can browse internet also.. so id finally recomend only the data cable..

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
Well, I have an IR port on my laptop so I didn't bother getting a datacable or BT dongle :D

Speeds are not that great using IR and it takes up to 5 minutes to transfer song from my laptop to my 6230. Small files tranfer easily and quickly. Even though it is better to have a universal IR port, the fact is that most new phones come with only BT and not IR. See which is cheaper and then decide. Nokia has ben sticking with the Pop-Port interface for quite long and if your phone has it, then a datacable might be a good idea so that if you upgrade to another Nokia in the future, you should still be able to use the datacable. If your phone has BT, then get a BT dongle-no second thoughts about that!!

bharathbala2003

why need title?
i too used to transfer images and browse using my dad's 6600 thro bluetooth and my laptop.. i dint know i cld use IR thnx for the info anyways :D

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
Here is the last one :)

I have used Irda , bluetooth as well as datacable..

datacable and bluetooth have faster tranfer rate.. IRDA sucks.. but is good choice as it will do with any handset ..

Same with dongle..

Also configuring irda is piece of cake..
but sometimes cable might not want to go you smooth but once configured then it is rather a pastry :)

So if you want speed in transfer then go for cable..
and want value for money then go fro irda

OP
A

arclight

Broken In
thanks everyone for your replies. i have decided to go for a datacable as i dont have a usb port in front of the cabinet but only at the rear side.

theraven

Technomancer
that doesnt matter
the ir pot come with a cable ..
so u can attatch it to the back and still have the port in the front ..
anyways its still ur choice . but a silly reason to not go for IR

A

anurag_online

IR sucks.... the connection breaks when ever the device is just get a jurk.. Go for the data cable.

chinmay

Journeyman
theraven i totally disagree with u...i hv a nokia 6600 with 1 gbps mmc card...i regularly transfermy music vids n mp3s to my phone..b4 i had ir port n it used to take 15 mins for 1 song(5 mb) to transfer...but now with a bluetooth or datacable i can get a transfer speed of 1mbps..u guyz mus be wondering that theres no dku slot in 6600 then how do i connect thru data cable...i do it by the older versions data cable(meant for 3315 n all with a patch frm some sites) in which u need to remove battery n insert cable...i'll suggest to go 4 bluetooth if person uses smartphones nwants to be universal...but since here the option is ir and dc i'll definitely go for data cable...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom