data erase!!???

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalage

java is fun.
hi

i have some personal data in my hard disk and want to hand it over to my friend, i dont want him/her to get access to data anyhow,(i heard that data can be recovered even if i delete it).

I thought that i wil:confused:l format it by full format in NTFS. will it protect my data?

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Get a file shredder. This software will securely erase your data. There are many to choose from. One, for e.g, is this: *www.fileshredder.org/

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
File shredder is a software which bascially overwrites your data with random data. Lets say you haf a file with this content (binary sequence which corresponds to somthing):

When you use a file shredder to delete this file, the software first overwrites the contents of the file and changes it to something like:

and then deletes it. So in future, if you use some undelete utility to recover the file all you wud get is a bunch of zeros which is meaningless.

OP
digitalage

digitalage

java is fun.
1. can i encrypt data while working in windows(I mean that my data is only saved in encrypted form)

2. is it safe to use file shreder software from www.fileshredder.org

3. is there any such type of freeware from any trusted provider(company)

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
u can considering encrypting ur data too.
Dude... he doesn't wanna use the HDD. He wants to give it to his friend and hence wants secure erasing of data.

1. can i encrypt data while working in windows(I mean that my data is only saved in encrypted form)

2. is it safe to use file shreder software from www.fileshredder.org

3. is there any such type of freeware from any trusted provider(company)
1. Yes, you can haf an encrypted partition. The best software that comes to my mind is Truecrypt.

2. While I'm not sure about fileshredder.org but using any File shredding software is pretty fine. No issues.

3. Shredder from some biggie? Last time I checked, Mcafee and Symantec had this. But again I'm not sure as I've never felt the need to use shredder.

OP
digitalage

digitalage

java is fun.
Dude... he doesn't wanna use the HDD. He wants to give it to his friend and hence wants secure erasing of data.

3. Shredder from some biggie? Last time I checked, Mcafee and Symantec had this. But again I'm not sure as I've never felt the need to use shredder.

yah... i too remember a package from symantec named as FILE SHREDDER (hehe.... but never knew it was for that:D) ....
.....but is it free?....and seperately downloadable???:confused:
if yes can u give me the link from were i can?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom