Data base ! HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

vijaythefool

In the zone
Guys recently i updated 98 to xp .
i was using a software (locally made) for accounting . i need to install office 2000 would the data base need to have any changes.
i guess its an older version of access i used .

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Don't worry, Access 2000 can read Access 97 databases without a problem. Having said that, you still might want to move your database to Access 2000 or later, simply because of the sheer number of changes incorporated in it. Upgrading it later may pose a problem.

OP
V

vijaythefool

In the zone
So u say there is no prolem gonna appear !

hey but the programmer say some thing diffrent .
i am afraid if i get my accounts stiff at the arrival of vat
i need help !

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
What version of Access was the database created on and is currently working? What program, front-end wise, are you using to access it?

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
VB is the front end for the database, you need to find out which version of Access the database was created in and the records stored. All the VB code does is to provide an "interface" for you to query the database and get/display the results of the query. Anyway, try to get the complete details. When it comes to migrating databases, Access has a slight problem because of multiple versions of the program and you may receive various errors if you're trying to port your database/application seamlessly from an earlier version of Access (say Access 97) to 2000.
Your database conversion or even a simple opening may take a lot of time and you may be prompted to convert to the Access 2000 database.
If the changes are massive enough, it may even mean that you would have to rewrite certain parts of your VB application to comply with the new Access format. You see, the problem is this.

When Microsoft introduced Access 2000, they had made a major number of changes to the program over its previous versions and introduced a lot of new components and improved the others. One of the major changes over earlier versions of Access was the data access method. Earlier databases uses Data Access Objects (DAO), a method provided by the MS Jet database engine for handling databases.

In Access 2000, Microsoft replaced DAO with ActiveX Data Objects (ADO), an improved method, that it set as the default data access method. However, they allowed backwards compatibility with DAO for users needing to reference it. If your programmer does not ensure this reference to DAO, then you will receive a number of errors and nothing will work right.

It is perfectly okay to have references to both DAO and ADO in the same database and you can also install Access 2000 in the same computer alongside Access 97. Hope this clears things up a bit. More info can be found here:

*eis.bris.ac.uk/~ccmjs/access2000.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom