Dark videos, pictures and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

suresh_mask

Right off the assembly line
My monitor displays all my videos and pictures in a slightly dark shade i.e, brightness and contrast are low.. A friend suggested that I adjust the overlay settings of the video card but my nVidia Riva TNT has only brightness and contrast settings for the desktop and not for overlay (the sliders are disabled). Please tell me how I can adjust the overlay settings to make my videos viewable. My monitor is in full brightness and contrast. Adjusting the brightness and contrast for WMP helps but those settings revert to default if I close the window or file. Is there a permanent solution. Any settings change in the brightness, contrast or Gamma through the nVIdia console affects only the windows but not the video or picture frames. Please help.

Suresh

PC : HP Pavilion 8505
P3 450, 128 MB SD RAM, 8MB nVidia Riva TNT, 15" Colour monitor.

harshagarwal

Journeyman
I think you have to change the gamma level of your monitor.
its in display properties and you to adjust it to a level you feel best.

OP
S

suresh_mask

I already tried adjusting the brightness, contrast and gamma thro the nvidia console which comes in the advanced part of the display properties but all these settings affect only the general windows i.e., the menu bars and the playlists of WMP and DivX Player become bright and the video frame is unaffected. It is after seeing this that my friend advised me to adjust the brightness, contrast and gamma for the overlay which is available in the same properties but when I went there the sliders for brightness, contrast and gamma are disabled. Please tell me if there is any other way as my monitor is perfectly working. Adjusting the brightness & contrast thro Windows Media Player 8 in the "Now Playing --> Video Settings" options makes the videos crystal clear but this is applicable only to WMP and also I cant save this setting and so for another file which I open in WMP, I have to change the setting again. Please tell me how I can change the brightness overall so that all players and picture viewers show bright pics and videos.

Suresh

OP
S

suresh_mask

Tried what u suggested but the sliders are still disabled. I tried playing files in WMP, DivX player, etc and all the while I can access the overlay tab but the sliders for brightness, contrast and gamma are disabled. The only options I have are selecting two schemes : standard mode and advanced mode. Whichever I select, the videos are still dark and the sliders are still disabled. Please help.

Suresh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom