DAP sucks - A story from DAP lover

Status
Not open for further replies.

hcp006sl

Journeyman
Hello everybody,

Before telling the story let me introduce myself. I am the person who is using DAP as the DM from the very first day I started net surfing – DAP is my first and only DM I have used. After that when DAP 7 released, writing 50 software reviews I got a free license of DAP Premium. I was totally satisfied with the performance and features of it.

Till the mid of July I was a dial-up user, but after that I opt for Broadband connection and got it. As from 16 th August, 2005 free hours were introduced by the Broadband service provider, I decided to download some DVDs – SuSe DVD, Knoppix DVD, Solaris 10 DVD, Debian Linux DVDs etc. Excepting Knoppix and Solaris all others were larger than 4 GB.

Now I added the url of each file to DAP download list, to my surprise I found DAP failed to report the proper file size for a file greater than 4 GB. A conclusion could be drawn from this incident that DAP does not support any download greater than 4 GB.

I started to search for a new DM and found one called Fresh Download having the capacity to recognize a file larger than 4 GB. The free s/w Fresh Download that was never in the competition among the DMs and that doesn't have the popularity as DAP has, found to be a much better DM than DAP.

Though Fresh Download is working good, but I need some features not present in it. Features like – a scheduler like DAP and if possible command prompt support. Can anybody suggest any alternative?

Originally posted at *hcp.wincustomize.com
Topic DAP sucks.

funkymonkey

Journeyman
Try Free Download Manager.
COmpletely free, has schedular, site manager, html spider, download log, all settings that you will need except command line operation.
But its one of the best, fasterst, and smallest utility. Does not hog much system resources and has low profile.
Easy drag and drop url box too.
Give it a try.

tuxfan

Technomancer
I would also recommend free download manager. It was on one of the Digit CD/DVD some time back. Or you can also go to *www.freedownloadmanager.org/download.htm

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
tuxfan!
Is Free Download Manager is better than DAP and Flashget or ne Download manager?
Or u recommended it only becauz of its free?
pls clear my doubts!
I never checked it?
Is it really worth to try?

chinmay

Journeyman
Well, I too recommend Free Download manager. Ignore the fact that its free and others are paid. I recommend it cuz its best in performance. BTW, i too changed from DAP to FDM very recently

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
So it means, i should too try it.
Currently I'm using DAP 7.4, but I'm quite satisfied with it.
But who knows may be FDM is better than DAP?
So let me try it...

expertno.1

Technomancer
i am a dap fan and i tell u

"every thing in this world has any demeritt"

so why not to remove the demeritt

as a dap lover i have reported this to the dap center and i am sure that this problem will be solved in future version

i will never switch from DAP..i am lovin it

hack expert

In the zone
flash get rocks allthough it is not a freeware also try leech get trial version lets u have max 8 simultaenous downloads but has got excellent speeds and features even useful on lan transfers

OP
hcp006sl

hcp006sl

Journeyman
deathvirus_me said:
Why not use FlashGet or WellGet ???
hack expert said:
flash get rocks allthough it is not a freeware also try leech get trial version lets u have max 8 simultaenous downloads but has got excellent speeds and features even useful on lan transfers

FlashGet sucks too. Don't know about WellGet.
FlashGet And LeechGet don't have the capacity to recognize the size of a file larger than 4GB.

OP
hcp006sl

hcp006sl

Journeyman
funkymonkey said:
Try Free Download Manager.
tuxfan said:
I would also recommend free download manager. It was on one of the Digit CD/DVD some time back. Or you can also go to *www.freedownloadmanager.org/download.htm
chinmay_d said:
Well, I too recommend Free Download manager. Ignore the fact that its free and others are paid. I recommend it cuz its best in performance. BTW, i too changed from DAP to FDM very recently
drvarunmehta said:
Been using Free Download Manager for over a year. Can confidently say that it is the best.

Already tried after your post. Thanks for the information.

I am not saying it the best. But, nice one; effective; can download 4GB+ files.

expertno.1

Technomancer
i am using dap from last 4.5 years and i say "its the best"

the 4 gb walla problem will be cured in new version "dap center replied"

lywyre

Cyborg Agent
Myself switched from DAP to FDM a month back, and so far no problems. DAP used to give frequent CRC errors with compressed files (and other formats too), so far not a single one has failed and Integration/deintegration with browsers is a breeze. It finds downloadables even from Opera 8.

I just changed from DAP, because I am moving away from licensed s/w (pirated) to free wares, and I found this one to be surprisingly better in many ways than DAP or IDM. So one more vote for FDM.

mariner

Ambassador of Buzz
i have been using the flashget registered version and never had ne problems so far. personally i think its better than FDM or DAP.

tuxfan

Technomancer
expertno.1 said:
i am a dap fan and i tell u

"every thing in this world has any demeritt"

so why not to remove the demeritt

as a dap lover i have reported this to the dap center and i am sure that this problem will be solved in future version

i will never switch from DAP..i am lovin it

I agree that everything in the world has demerit, but you can't live with a spyware!! DAP is reported to have one. So sooner you stop using it, better for you. :|

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
Heh .. I dont feel attached to any software ... I use whichever software till it works .. and it starts giving nuisance, I move on .. So far only Maxthon, WinRar and IrfanView have been my fav program and they keep improving ... I left QcdPlayer for Foobar a year ago ..

using massdownloader from two years,and getting the best regarding scheduler etc,its paid one,but u know how to get it!!!
info regarding massdownloader
*www.metaproducts.com/mp/mpProducts_Detail.asp?id=3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom