Damn Small Linux (DSL) 50mb only live CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Damn Small Linux(DSL)(50mb only live CD)

Damn Small Linux is a business card size (50MB) bootable Live CD Linux distribution. Despite its minuscule size it strives to have a functional and easy to use desktop.
Damn Small Linux has a nearly complete desktop, including XMMS (MP3, and MPEG), FTP client, links-hacked web browser, spreadsheet, email, spellcheck (US English), a word-processor, three editors (Nedit, nVi, Zile [emacs clone]), Xpdf, Worker (file manager), Naim (AIM, ICQ, IRC), VNCviwer, SSH/SCP server and client, DHCP client, PPP, PPPoE, a web server, calculator, Fluxbox window manager, system monitoring apps, USB support, and soon it will have PCMCIA support as well. If you like Damn Small Linux you can install it on your hard drive. Because all the applications are small and light it makes a very good choice for older hardware.

If you like DSL you can install it on your hard drive. Because all the applications are small and light it makes a very good choice for older hardware.

The goal in creating Damn Small Linux is to have enough tools and toys on a business card sized CD to get work done *and* have some fun.

Download

Screenshot :

*img4.imageshack.us/img4/6484/dsl147ls.th.jpg

vandit

In the zone
look before u order... that disc is not for free..... costs 7$ + other charges....
but downloading is free...maybe digit sould include it in one of the CD...not DVD or both..... for people like me who aren't lucky enough to have a DVD drive....

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
CD i guess for 50 mb, but what re the features ?
looks useless in terms of softies...
Also, what boutte linux used in bee bots (digit)

vandit

In the zone
the DSL works gooooooood on an old computer.... unlike suse or redhat.... also I wouldnt consider installing a older OS as it may contain bugs and security holes.....

by the way is linux not affected by viruses at all?

ujjwal

Padawan
CD i guess for 50 mb, but what re the features ?
looks useless in terms of softies...

Useless? I don't think so ... it has Firefox for a browser, Sylpheed for a mail client, XMMS for a media player, FLWriter for a word processer, Siag for spreadsheets. Its certainly has most of what a person would need. If you want more there is always the MyDSL extensions, which can give you software like Gimp, Open Office, and hundreds more. During these summer vacations, I was away from home, and this was the only linux distro I could use, and I did most of my work there, browsing programming and some games.

This is a very good choice for old PC's, but the X server included wont be able to take full advantage of your graphics card, as it doesn't include full fledged drivers. If that is important, you could use a custom SLAX live cd fit with light and fast software.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
There r a few lnx viruses as well...
But as win is the most popular of all oses, virus writers tend to it to get wide coverage and popularity...

Thnx Ujjwal, for the reply and for correctin me, i was pointin that tis not a good base linux for multipurpose or as a worktop

ujjwal

Padawan
Yes, there are a few linux viruses out there, but practically, I doubt you can face one. As linux/unix uses file system permissions, when you are logged in as a non-root user, you or a program run by you cannot write/modify/delete any system files or directories. If at all a virus is created, all it will be able to do is perhaps wipe out the users personal files.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Correct me if Im wrong. but pretty much any distro has as much features as you want it to. Some of them just dont come by default and you would have to download it . Although Im not very sure about the driver support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom