da west

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jobenjoseph

seriously guyz,i think we are a bunch of hypocrites.
we use the technology by the west, majority of our jobs are due to the west and we all love western culture don't we????

western fast food - anytime
EA sports,ubisoft,Activision-anytime
rock,hip hop ;) trance,house - anytime
designerwear - hillfiger,lee,arrow blah blah -anytime
and many more

ok family values we really cant look to the west

but seriously do you like to dress up in a lungi or dhoti and listen to classical music 24/7

guys i am patriotic but the above mentioned are my just my personal opinion

karmanya

Journeyman
I think this is the greatest tragedies of the modern world. though I am a lot like you- i think this is very sad.

nix

^whats sad about it?
western culture is attractive, its fun and its good. who do you think will like to wear a dhoti? who would look good in it? they made good stuff, and everybody likes good stuff...thats about it.

OP
J

jobenjoseph

nix said:
^whats sad about it?
western culture is attractive, its fun and its good. who do you think will like to wear a dhoti? who would look good in it? they made good stuff, and everybody likes good stuff...thats about it.

exactly what is sad about it man. our indian culture was superb say 100 years ago but for real who in hell will go bak

peace out

led_shankar

In Shamful Mystery
There is nothing to be ashamed of in being influenced by other cultures. Culture is not some kind of dress code to be followed without fail

karmanya

Journeyman
It is sad that just because there is one superpower in the world- everyone tries to copy it. In the age of globalisation there will be an absorption of culture- but for it to diffuse to such an extent that our own culture has been abandoned. don't you think that's sad?

cynosure

UbuntuUser
Haven't you watched swades???
SRK says: Jab apne paas saare darwaaze band ho jaate hain to hum sanskaaron par pahuch jaate hain!!

Anyways, even west is following the Indian path of Yog and Spirituality;)
Its a good "give and take" kinda relationship.

And we are the boys and gals of new generation and their are diffrences in every generation so it is foolishness comparing diff generation. Our grandparents never used a PS2:D and who knows if our grandchildren will be living in "the Matrix":D:D

karmanya

Journeyman
there is a difference in culture and in technology. How many people do you know who will touch someone's feet. I do not know a single person. including myself.

faraaz

Evil Genius
I am actually a great fan of European culture...atleast insofar as it relates to their work ethic. And by that, I mean their dedication to systematic work and rewarding honest effort.

Furthermore what I really don't like about Indian culture is our Indian hypocrisy and holier than thou attitude. I believe in mixing and matching...take the best of both worlds and integrate.

PS@ Karmanya: Didn't see your post till after I posted...and I don't know what one would make of this but I regularly bend and touch my elder's feet...not everyone's though. Just really elders...I stick to handshakes or those man-hugs you give relatives when its someone in the range of 40-60 but more than that I touch feet. I've just been brought up that way...

led_shankar

In Shamful Mystery
@Karmanya: not touching feet does not necessarily indicate a lack of respect, in my opinion. The European concept of respect seems less concerned with token actions like that (not that they are wrong).

Quiz_Master

* Teh Flirt King *
Its nothing wrong in following a different culture's life style as long as we respect our's. I agree with faraaz's point. Its give and take.
I think its time we should start thinking at global level.
Think following our old age culture(you can call it dhoti culture) serves no purpose.
Everything is not permanent. Even this so called western culture will be outdated in near future.

karmanya

Journeyman
dhoti culture?? that term my friend is derogatory. can u define ure so called "dhoti culture"? indian culture is not only about wearing dhotis.

cynosure

UbuntuUser
karmanya said:
How many people do you know who will touch someone's feet. I do not know a single person. including myself.

I touch my family members' (which are old) feet. In my family almost every boy does that. So I know around 10-12 people. In addition to that some of my friends also touch their parents' and other people's feet. So that makes the number around 20. I know 20 people who touch elder people's feet:D

But even I wont touch any firangi's feet if someday I go to any other country. Yes that will not be the case of NRI family members.

As they say: In the Rome, be like a Roman.;)

faraaz

Evil Genius
cynosure said:
As they say: In the Rome, be like a Roman.;)

I agree fully...while I was living in Australia, I didn't go around touching old people's feet...I called them names like Marty and Andy although they were my HOD's... :razz:

virus_killer

Journeyman
^^ Even they don't like if you call him by " uncle" :D or something like that. and we always say that our culture is best, i am not saying that it is wrong but just look at different cultures, in Australia they respect elders more than we do and they also respect each and every job no matters what job u do, if you are doing some labor work than you won't treated as labor , but in our India , you all are aware that how our civil and other engineers treat their workers. so there are always some good things in different culture which we should adopt and follow.

OP
J

jobenjoseph

virus_killer said:
^^ Even they don't like if you call him by " uncle" :D or something like that. and we always say that our culture is best, i am not saying that it is wrong but just look at different cultures, in Australia they respect elders more than we do and they also respect each and every job no matters what job u do, if you are doing some labor work than you won't treated as labor , but in our India , you all are aware that how our civil and other engineers treat their workers. so there are always some good things in different culture which we should adopt and follow.

have you guyz noticed these petrol attendants in the bunks???
even if no guy is there to fill the petrol 9 times out of ten the cashier justs looks the other way.

is it only in india we dont have the dignity of labour??

faraaz

Evil Genius
Nope...Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh have a similar state of affairs!! So do Malaysia and Indonesia to some extent...based on what I've seen...

Yamaraj

The Lord of Death
jobenjoseph said:
but seriously do you like to dress up in a lungi or dhoti and listen to classical music 24/7
Can you wear a three-piece suit all day, and listen to MTV crap 24*7?
You don't have to generalize everything.

There is nothing really to be ashamed of. Europeans learned many things from Indians and Chinese. The World, as we know it today, is a mixture and product of all cultures. And then there are many things our own, that we're accepting again only because of a western influence. Things like Yoga, sexual freedom, et al.

That said, every culture has its share of good and bad, and it up to you to filter things out that are inappropriate here. The idea is to not your brain let develop a Western Complex.

Don't associate westernization with modernization. And you don't have to be obsessed with all things western to appear "modern". Also, learn to respect your own culture, family values and traditions - while filtering out the bad things, as usual.

OP
J

jobenjoseph

Yamaraj said:
Can you wear a three-piece suit all day, and listen to MTV crap 24*7?
You don't have to generalize everything.

There is nothing really to be ashamed of. Europeans learned many things from Indians and Chinese. The World, as we know it today, is a mixture and product of all cultures. And then there are many things our own, that we're accepting again only because of a western influence. Things like Yoga, sexual freedom, et al.

That said, every culture has its share of good and bad, and it up to you to filter things out that are inappropriate here. The idea is to not your brain let develop a Western Complex.

Don't associate westernization with modernization. And you don't have to be obsessed with all things western to appear "modern". Also, learn to respect your own culture, family values and traditions - while filtering out the bad things, as usual.

on the statement of "Don't associate westernization with modernization"
can u give me a country which is developed and has not aped the west???\
and no i cant wear a 3 piece suit all day i would switch to jeans or shorts and mtv is the 90's dude!!!

faraaz

Evil Genius
jobenjoseph said:
on the statement of "Don't associate westernization with modernization"
can u give me a country which is developed and has not aped the west???\
and no i cant wear a 3 piece suit all day i would switch to jeans or shorts and mtv is the 90's dude!!!

I like this guy...and yeah, its VH1 right now...not MTV! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom