Crysis, UT3 Sales Fall Flat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who

Guess Who's Back
Research firm NPD Group said that EA and Crytek's critically lauded FPS Crysis sold just 86,633 units last month, following its release on November 13.

A Metacritic average review score of 91 wasn’t enough to overcome the apparent apprehension regarding the game's relatively steep hardware requirements. A PC with a dual core processor, 2GB of RAM and a mid-level DX10 card runs the game at around 30 framers per second average at midrange resolution. [Judging by my own rig.--Ed.]

Midway and Epic Games’ Unreal Tournament 3 for PC fared even worse, selling just 33,995. However, sales will be supplemented by PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions. The game launched for PC on November 19, also receiving strong reviews.

The FPS market is crowded to say the least. Crysis and Unreal Tournament 3 launched during a time when BioShock, Halo 3, Call of Duty 4 and The Orange Box have been occupying shelf space.

(Thanks to virtual stock market The simExchange for the additional NPD data.)
*www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8352&Itemid=2

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
With system requirements just skyrocketing this was very obvious from Crysis.Also the long delay & pre-release leaked copy all lead to this downfall.Though the game still remains visually stunning,it does not offer much variety in terms of storyline & gameplay.With games like Bioshock & Call Of Duty 4 making a massive impact interms of innovative gameplay & stunning visual with medium hardware requirements really gave them the edge over this game.

I'm still not sure why Unreal Tournament 3's sales have plummeted but I have yet to play this game.So will first try it out & then comment.I am really disappointed in the CryEngine 2 as it boasted so much & delayed the game so long to deliver such a hardware hungry game.I'd say Gears of War was way better than Crysis on this count as it was both fun & not that graphic hungry.Hope Far Cry 2 does not turn out the same way.:)

Vivek788

In the zone
too much emphasis on only a few features can mean a product's doom....as with crysis...due to the high requirements...it has lost a majority of customers..the rest might be happy because they are among elite few who can run the game at respectable settings...cod4 on the other hand is playable for a wider number of people and the gameplay is very innovative and thoroughly entertaining...

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
On 90% of PCs Crysis wasnt playable with acceptable setts. [Whole game is around cool looking graphic and stuff]. Anythin below 8800 GT is just not good enough. If Ultra High Setts then even Ultra starts to CRY in Crysis :p

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
^^ So next generation will buy it if they rembember of it :p

No point in Selling Red Ferraris when you know roads are only good enough to support 60 kmph :D

They doomed their fate with own hands.

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
To be precise it will be next Gen "High End" like GTX, Ultra etc and I still wonder how many people will buy them. 5%?

CRYSIS:
2 reasons for downfall of crysis-
1.its leakage on torrents b4 the official release.
2.it cant run on an average pc giving acceptable fps.
and it kills my 8600 GT.many people on this forum itself have this card.
all r suffering with this Sh1tty game.
the engine rox but the game sux due to the 2 verrrry high sys reqs.
IMO COD4 is faaaaaar better than this one in terms of sys reqs and gaemplay.
UT3:
reqs are not that high but gameplay sux.
i have ot tried its MP so cant tell abt that.

bkpeerless

In the zone
why dont pc game makers make a standered scale for minimum requirment in pcs.. they just make high end games maybe to play in their own machine.. they shouls start selling pc with games..

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Developer should make games considering the present hardware capabilities.

Many times the games were scaled down and optimized just for the mass hardware compatibility.

Crytek was blind or something when not considering the mainstream users.

shady_inc

Pee into the Wind...
The only games that I liked in UT series are the original one and UT-2004.Blazing fast gameplay.!!Others were a bit boring for me.:neutral:

a_tif

Journeyman
The system requirements r so high

before buying the game u have buy new hardware :mad:

my pc couldn't even run UT3 Demo properly

x3060

A LOTR fan
well , i guess it was the same with FEAR is it ? but it sold well :). . all systems were brought to stand still is it ?

i like PORTAL a lot :) . . awesome game , easily the best game of the year . .

Last edited:

nish_higher

Wise Old Owl
Fear ran well even on 7300le.crysis runs good only on one card till now which every gamer can't afford and also i've played the game (demo) its pretty boring.its all about the graphics and physics.i dont think anyone will buy a game thats much overhyped since a year and turns to be nothing but good for screenshots.

MetalheadGautham said:
its all because of Piracy. Many of us here have played Crysis. But have we all purchased it?
I doubt that... Piracy may be a big issue here in India, but it isnt so important in US and EU, where the real market is for games.

But anyways, after the introduction of the new 8800GT I guess it would be a really hot seller over the holiday season. And once the kids there get their hands on a 8800GT, the first game they'd want to try would be Crysis without doubt.
So i would really wait and see at the December sales figures, coz Crysis still seems to excite people.

x3060

A LOTR fan
@nish . . i was talking about fear at the time of launch . . not now . . i dont think fear ran on all the cards with full eye candy . . . yet it became a hit . . i think its the story thats letting down crysis . . any ways , lets hope it will pick up . . but there are good games waiting too . . like GTA . . . its gonna be tough

OP
Who

Who

Guess Who's Back
crysis is short, it lacks innovation & the mp sucks, it won't be picked up now, hope farcry 2 will be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom