Not open for further replies.

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
i have the setup files of win 98se on my HD
can someone plz tell me how to make a win 98se bootable disc

defconfor

Broken In
e

insert an empty floppy . go to control panel then to add remove pro. there click on startup disk map. click on create disk. follow the steps. the work is done

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
First create a windows 98 bootable floppy disk, as defconfor suggested!

Then open Nero and select "create bootable CD" and give the path to windows 98 setup files, after that it'll ask for floppy disk and insert the floppy disk, follow the instructions and u hv done!

readermaniax

Ambassador of Buzz
I found this interesting page which explains the El Torito specification and is quite adamant that the Win98 CD Rom IS bootable.

*www.buildorbuy.org/cdbootmenu.html

The following page, however, indicates that further steps are required as you have stated:

*www.heise.de/ct/Service/English.htm/99/11/206/

but also gives some other methods of performing an installation from DOS.

Microsoft obviously assume that a bootable CD Rom should be a replica of your hard drive !!!

*support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q167685

Based of what I've read and tried (from many sites), and assuming your pc's can boot from a CD, the boot CD drive can't be larger than a floppy (if you want to retain the Win98 CD image as it originally was). To access additional (non-bootable, Win98) info on the CD, you have to have the proper CD driver(s) loaded during boot, and know what drive letter has been assigned to that area to run stuff there. You'll also need to know what drive letter has been assigned to the HD partition that you want to format/install on.

1) try the links i Have mentioned above

2) I'd recommend using Win98 as your boot image (make a floppy with everything you need on it, and use something like Nero to create the CD).

Hope that helps!

OP
ssk_the_gr8

ssk_the_gr8

sorry to say people but i dont have a floppy disc drive on my new comp
as i keep installing different OSes should i geta a floppy disc drive

readermaniax

Ambassador of Buzz
sorry to say people but i dont have a floppy disc drive on my new comp
as i keep installing different OSes should i geta a floppy disc drive

Waah !kya baat hai.hey You are a unique guy!

...the new windows(s) are on cds but the older ones are on floppy...so if you want to install those 95 kinda qindows then I THINK you should buy a floppy drive.. i tihink it costs around Rs 800.

hope this help!
reader

OP
ssk_the_gr8

ssk_the_gr8

hey reader i am makin the bootable cd for a friend as he doesnt have a cd writer why would i use 98 instead of xp(sp2)

readermaniax

Ambassador of Buzz
try this link
Bart's ways to create Windows bootable discs

OR

To make a CD capable of booting into Windows off a harddisk copy your system drive's MSDOS.SYS to a floppy, use Nero or another program to burn the floppy disk image... Copy format.com, found in \windows\command or on the windows setup cd to the cd also of course. MSDOS.SYS is tells computer where your windows files are and which drive they're on.

MSDOS.SYS is at root directory (like C) and is hidden+system+read only. If you were to replace the msdos.sys on a floppy with msdos.sys from a Win98 installation you could probably boot from Windows using a floppy/bootable cd...

You said to boot the Windows system also. I don't know exactly what that means but if it means to boot the entire Win98 operating system from a CD, I've found it to be possible only in Safe Mode, and it's very slow, and many "Unable to write to disk" errors occur. To make this CD you could try this...

0. Disk size must fit on the CD or DVD. If it does you can easily create a boot CD using Nero...
If not, go to the Internet and find "Ranish Partition Manager".

1. Open part.exe and reduce the number of ending cylinders on the disk to be copied until "Minimum Size" turns red... Then increase the number of ending cylinders until the Minimum Size turns white again...

2. DON'T SAVE. Select the disk and press Z to dump the partition to a file named "PART_DMP" in the same directory as PART.EXE.

3. Use this file as your boot image in Nero and use Harddisk emulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom