Create list of all files and folders with a right-click!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shady_inc

Pee into the Wind...
Create a list of all files and folders inside a particular folder with a right-click!!
Taken from The Elder Geeks

What's it about??: After this tutorial,an option will be available whenever you right-click any folder which will display all the files and sub-folders inside that folder and save it to a text file.

1. Create a .bat file
    Open Notepad and copy-paste the following data in it.
    cd %1
    dir /a /b /-p /o:gen >C:\filelist.txt
    start notepad C:\filelist.txt
    You can edit the path to your preference.Now name this file anything you wish and save it anywhere you wish.
  2. Make file visible in right click context menu.
    Open explorer window,Go to Tools>Folder Options..>File types and from the registered file types list,select FOLDER.Click on Advanced>New....In the Action box,type in the name you want in context menu.For e.g. Generate File List..Then click on Browse..,navigate to the .bat file created in step 1 and save the changes.
  3. Congratulations!!
    You are done with the tutorial!!.Now right click any folder and select Generate File Listing.A text file will be created in your C:\ drive [or any path you specified in the .bat file.] called filelist.txt which contains list of all files and sub-folders in the parent folder!
"You Will Never Walk Alone"

OP
shady_inc

shady_inc

Pee into the Wind...
Lucky_star said:
Nice One!...

But its not showing the subfolders
Works perfectly on my side.If you followed everything perfectly,the only reason I can think of is: Did the folder you try it on have any sub-folders??:D

Oh and those who tried it out,have a look at the source too.I lists quite a few modifications to this trick.

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
this thing has messed up my folder opening options. First........ does anybody has an idea why the edit or delete option is greyed out in the Edit file type box after I click on advance......................the problem is now when I double click on any folder its opening in a seperate window though the option of opening in the same window is selected in the properties..........and I cant revert coz there is no option to default things back or delete/edit. (That option is greyed out).......grrrrr

V

vaibhavtek

cool trick m8. :cool:
work perfectly for me.
keep them coming. ;)

V

vaibhavtek

Romeo said:
Thanks for a good trick ! btw, Does it work in Win - Vista ? If Yes, How ?

it must work.
just try and then u will understand.8)

V

vaibhavtek

Cannot understand what u are asking.
File Type ...???
Write the appropiate word.

hy its nice...

what if i wanna delete dat option frm context menu....

remove tab is inactive in the selection

shady_inc said:
Create a list of all files and folders inside a particular folder with a right-click!!
Taken from The Elder Geeks

What's it about??: After this tutorial,an option will be available whenever you right-click any folder which will display all the files and sub-folders inside that folder and save it to a text file.
  1. Create a .bat file
    Open Notepad and copy-paste the following data in it.

You can edit the path to your preference.Now name this file anything you wish and save it anywhere you wish.
  2. Make file visible in right click context menu.
    Open explorer window,Go to Tools>Folder Options..>File types and from the registered file types list,select FOLDER.Click on Advanced>New....In the Action box,type in the name you want in context menu.For e.g. Generate File List..Then click on Browse..,navigate to the .bat file created in step 1 and save the changes.
  3. Congratulations!!
    You are done with the tutorial!!.Now right click any folder and select Generate File Listing.A text file will be created in your C:\ drive [or any path you specified in the .bat file.] called filelist.txt which contains list of all files and sub-folders in the parent folder!
"You Will Never Walk Alone"

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
tanvi chaturvedi said:
what if i wanna delete dat option frm context menu.... remove tab is inactive in the selection

yep thats what I said n thats what exactly has happened with me, cant revert, I know need to tweak the registry for that, but I prefered to run my ghost image to bring the original state back....:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom