L2 Cache: 1,024 KB
L3 Cache: Not available
Socket: LGA775

Memory: 2 GB

Mother Board:Intel Corporation D945GCNL

Windows:

XP Professional
SP 2

When I switch on my PC the temperature starts at 61 degree celcius while the maximum noticed was 67 degree.

the fans make a lot of noise when any big app is opened i hv nearly wasted Rs 1,500 on buying coolant paste which proved to b useless.

i live in dehradun where no body knows about such things as coolant paste.
the paste which i managed to buy 4m here, instead of cooloing shooted up to 78 degree celcius i noticed when a bad smell started coming 4m my PC and i imediately after noticing the temperature shutted it down i even managed to buy a coolant 4m DELHI which also proved not worthy enough.

my budget 4 a coolant is about Rs 1000 as our financial position is very weak please help me out.
tell me the name of the coolant and the place 4m where i can get it.

You can E-mail me at vipulsonker@live.in
vipul.sonker@gmail.com
vipul@iamsingle.in

:!::!::!::!::!::!::!:

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Most people except perhaps extreme overclockers and performance freaks don't really need expensive exotic 'coolant paste' (more usually called thermal paste).

Try a good electronics parts shop instead of a computer shop. They may know it as 'heatsink compound' there. Cost will be 20-50 bucks for a small pack. It is as effective as the thermal paste sold at inflated prices in computer shops. Compared to using such expensive pastes like Arctic Silver, the difference in temperature will be a couple of degrees at most.

When you apply a thermal paste, don't put on a thick layer. Apply only a thin layer spread evenly over the CPU surface.

However, if you're always getting high temperatures, it may be due to other factors. How old is your computer? If you've had it for some time, the high temp may be caused by accumulated dust on the heatsink, improper seating of the heatsink and/or poor ventilation inside the cabinet. 61 deg is quite high for a starting temp, but 67 is still well below the maximum safe temp.

OP
V

vipulsonker

Right off the assembly line
but dude i monthly cleans up all the fans and heatsink my CPU 2 years old.
i upgraded my pc in may previous year, i changed my motherboard 4m intel 865 to 945GCNL,
memory 4m 512 MB DDR1 to 2 GB DDR2, DVD writer 4m ATA to SATA,
i searched all the computer shops for coolant paste they didnt know a bit of it, they say buy another CPU then

no electric shop keeps this except electronic items, no part of computer are kept even if any repair is to b done we hv to go to service centre as no shop is present to do that.

as i my CPU's thermal specification is 67.7 degree, that means if the temperature increases this point then every parts in the CPU will melt up as it is the maximum temperature which can b beared

amitash

Intel OCer
67 is really high...instead of buying more thermal paste get urself a good heatsink...Also wat app are u using to monitor temps?

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
I live in a remote place with less than half the population of Dehradun, yet all electronics shops and technicians here know what thermal paste or heatsink compound is. Are you sure you gave them the right name? Maybe they didn't know what you wanted if you said "coolant paste".

Remember: "thermal paste" in computer shops; "heatsink compound" in electronics shops. By electronics shops, I mean those that sell parts and do repair work, not those that just sell finished products.

Anyway, if your idle temperature is really that high, there must be something else involved other than the thermal paste. Are you sure the heatsink is properly installed? Is it pressing down firmly and evenly on the processor? And, as pointed out by amitash, what software did you use to get the temperature readings?

OP
V

vipulsonker

i just use the Mother Boards BIOS to monitor so im not able to monitor the temperature while the windows is open is there any app which i can use do tell me.

as i know the assembling part so i am firmly sure that the heatsink is correctly installed.

the heatsink is the default one which came when i buyed the PC.

moreover the PC market is not so good in dehradun as the dual core 3 GHz processor which is the fastest and avilable in lucknow and even quadcore, no shops even heard of those.

they still buy 1 GHz processor that is dual core and chipsets of 945 higher than that also not available.
the reason behind this might b that there is no one in dehradun who will buy such a expensive parts so they do not want to block up there money.

the technology which is sold here is not good.
even SAHARA here sold P4 CPU having pins

so u can imagine what kind of market we hv

sashijoseph

In the zone
Hi Vipul.... observe the temps with the cabinet open and in the bios search for sth like fan speed control and disable it.
Prescotts are notorious for overheating.
You might consider adding extra fans in the cabinet keeping in mind the direction of airflow.

OP
V

vipulsonker

I hv tried the PC running while the cabinet is opened but it didnt made any difference.
while 4 talking about FAN's. Two r installed at the back & two side ways including ance CPU fan

vivek404

Broken In
not much chance of wrong temps...the presHOTTS as sashijoseph said r notorious for insane temps. they need a good aftermarket cooler.

Sooraj_digit

BLah.. Blah..blah.......
instead why dont you try after market cooler like thermalright if you have a budget of 1K these might be much helpful but remember to do your homework and googling

OP
V

vipulsonker

im not able to get know 4m where i could buy a descent cooling solutions nor do i hv such a budget.

can anyone tell me a good app which can help me out in monitoring my CPU temp

Shloeb

In the zone
I think something is wrong with his heatsink or the thermal paste is not applied properly. I had a p4 3.0 ghz and it idled at 34 degrees and maximum gone to 42 degrees and this with a stock fan and heatsink. So stop blaming prescotts for overheating problems. The only proble lies within his pc only.

darklord

Cyborg Agent
Most people except perhaps extreme overclockers and performance freaks don't really need expensive exotic 'coolant paste' (more usually called thermal paste).

Try a good electronics parts shop instead of a computer shop. They may know it as 'heatsink compound' there. Cost will be 20-50 bucks for a small pack. It is as effective as the thermal paste sold at inflated prices in computer shops. Compared to using such expensive pastes like Arctic Silver, the difference in temperature will be a couple of degrees at most.

I beg to differ. The normal white paste will get the job done but AS5 isnt worthless at all.It surely does help in reducing temps if applied properly.

As for the application method, spreading the paste isnt the best solution always.

The best method that i have found out is to put a a single blob in the centre of the CPU and mount the cooler, when the cooler is fixed, the pressure itself spreads the paste.
The core lies in the centre of the CPU so it is pretty useless to spread the paste all over the IHS since Intel stock coolers have a round base and do not cover the entire area of the IHS.
This is valid in case of a single core CPU such as in this case.As for Dual and Quad cores, same logic applies, just that the die area increases compared to single cores but orientation remains the same, in the centre.

As for this case, since he is using a CPU that is a Prescott, high temps is an inherent characteristic of this core. You can improve the air flow inside the case and try dusting your PC from inside and a fresh coat of thermal paste but honestly pulling down temps drastically with the stock cooler is something you shouldnt even try doing,its a waste of time.

Not sure if this is relevant here but i have observed that the CPU as well as GPU temps tend to reduce substantially if a solid PSU is used which can deliver clean power with minimum ripple.I conspicuously observed this when i was testing 8800GTX around an year back.First i tried a Tagan 500W and the idle temps were around 77c.
I just swapped the PSU with a Silverstone Zeus 850W ( irrespective of the wattage, Silverstone is more well built and capable of providing cleaner power with minimal ripple) and the GPU temp dropped to around 68c idle.
I don't know why but i am telling you guys what i observed.
So i guess that factor should also be taken into consideration.
Just out of curiosity, what PSU are you using Vipul ?

I hope this proves helpful.

OP
V

vipulsonker

im using a SUPERCOMP psu of 450 WATTS
im thinking to upgrade it, As im going to lucknow this friday 22 august for my exam so ill b trying to get the paste there and a good PSU ranging 4m 700 to 900 WATT.

if any one know about how much watt of PSU should i buy do tell me

OP
V

vipulsonker

i was'nt able to get a PSU above 450 WATTS in lucknow also.

they adviced me to send the MOTHERBOARD and CPU back to INTEL 4 replacement as they are covered under warranty and the suggestion given by intel on his website gives me the reason to replace it up as there tips given on there website have been followed before i viewed them and the demonstration shows my CPU is heating much more than the intel's demonstration.

So i'm thinking for giving my MOTHERBOARD & CPU to my vendor for replacement after two to three weeks.

Thank u alll of u 4 trying to solve my problem in ur best possible & in experinced way.

Thank u

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom