cost for a PC/laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

munim

hi guys.
i am a computer science student in PESIT bangalore and i am planning to get a laptop. i want atleast 1.7GHz, 40 GB, Win XP Pro(plus linux.. that would be cool or else i can always install myself), DVD/CDRW, 256 MB RAM and the rest of the usual stuff. i may get a laptop for WiFi but i am a bit unsure about the price.. also a desktop with a WiFi card would be nice but its not neccessary...
any of you guys have experience in buying a similar PC, please share it with me. i am new in india and i don't know the costs here. also anyone in bangalore,please tell me any good computer shop. thanks
munim
PS: Assembled is enough for me... i don't need branded.

---- EDITED-----
ok guys, i am also willing to get an AMD processor as long as it can run macromedia software and a few games... i don't want very good performance for games... i am not a game freak. a thought.. linux will work fine on an AMD right?

IG

Journeyman
me piggybacking on this query...here goes :p
what abt for 30-40k?
but only for a laptop....any known brands that offer the same?

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
U might get Aci laptops powered by the Via nehemiah processor @ that price point. Better hunt for assembled ones but battery life is wot one shud b careful in assembled ones.

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
Umm i have used the lappy which used a Via processor @ 1Ghz and i must say its not 2 bad @ the price range of 30-35k. But u better be off with a good proccy.

manmay

Journeyman
i got my laptop compaq presario 2514 celeron 2.8 GHZ 30 gb hd cd rom wi fi usb2 15 in display 128 mb ram (ddr), ATi radeon 16 mb IGP 345M grafix, has 56kmodem, floppy drive infra red port lan card and battery backup of 3 hrs os quoted but i get 2 hrs.
i got it for 43k .i 'll say u can go for it its worth the money and fits your budget !!!!!

in the same series, my friend has bought presario 2517 there is p4 2.8 ghz 30 gb hd cdrw-dvd combo drive wi fi usb2 15 in display 128 mb ram (ddr)ATi radeon 16 mb IGP 345M grafix, 56k modem, floppy drive infra red port lan card and the batery for 58k bucks (good enough)

u can always install any of the os. although i got linux mandrake 9.1.4 along with it free.
there are other models also with centrino but i don think u wanna go for em.they'r real costly
i must mention 128 mb is far too low. u must go for ram 256mb (abt 3500 bucks)

i am thinking for increasing the hdd but the prices rock me. lappy hdd are quite costly and slow too. u can go for some ext casing and a regular hdd (desktop hdd). external casing costs abt 1500 bucks (check baazi for lower rates)and put the hdd in the casing and u can connect it by usb2 to the lappy or any other comp . moreover u can put any ting like cd rw or dvd writer in the casing. it should be good. so u get a portable drive.

amd proccy are real good and i think better for gaming than intel. intel only beats amd in video encoding , and format conversion and non linear editing jobs. anyway amd should work fine for you

u can get assembled desktop 2400XP barton amd 80 gb hdd a cd rw and dvd rom don go for combo they r a mess. and the pric difference comes out to be abt 300 bucks. asus or gigabyte mobo, 17 inch LG 700s monitor and the rest of the stuff for abt 24k including all the stuff.

i'll suggest that if u dont have the need for portablility then u must go for a desktop. cause u get the option of future upgrades at a far less price then laptop.

phew that was a long post.....
bye

IG

Journeyman
thanks guys.methinks no lappy for me now :p
will wait till prices dropa bit more...128 ram is way too little.

OP
M

munim

i don't think i need a lappy for now.. a desktop will do.. budget 27k

OP
M

munim

i have heard you get good config assembled desktops in some place in blore.. i don't mind assembled ones... i am an exp comp user.. only thing i am new in india so i don't know where to buy and how much will it cost....

shariq_pj

Broken In
Hi guys...

I need help in buyin a Laptop...

My needs are:

1) For office use basically
2) A Little gaming is OK
3) Gigabit Ehernet
4) Wi-Fi
5) Provision to connect LCD Proj
6) A Quite decent battery life
7) Wide screen, preferably around 15"
8. Branded
9) DVD writer

Last but not the least...

It should not burn a hole in the pocket...

So the budget translates into somethin around 50k...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom